Chapter III

The next morning, I woke up to my father sitting at his piano. "Ah! There's my shining sun!" My father comes to my bed. "Are you all right?" He brushes some curls out of my face. Despite some minor pains, I nod and sit up. He takes my hand.

"I have a surprise for you. Would you like to know what it is?" I nod again, with much interest. My father has never given me anything before. "First put that creative mind of yours to work. Write me an aria the world has never heard, nor will ever hear again. Then we'll talk."

I jump out of bed, pull on a jacket and head for the door.

"Where are you going? The piano is in here!" I stop dead in my tracks. "You don't mean...?" I point to his piano. "Of course. You are my daughter, are you not?"

I nod, my face breaking into the biggest smile. "Yes. Let me just go get my music." I turn to leave but feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Your music?" My father asks. "Yes, Papa. I've been composing since I was 4."

"You've been composing for almost 8 years?" My father looks astounded. "Yes. I'm nowhere near your level, but-" He places a hand up, stopping my sentence. "Where do you compose such music?"

"In the third floor of the concert hall. There's a small room that's almost invisible. I found it one day. It has one window, which lets in very little light, but sometimes during the winter, I can see the snowfall. It's so beautiful."

My father chuckles. "Just like your mother. Always finding beauty in something unexpected. Where one would see a dismal, cold room, you and your mother both see a small slice of peace and quiet." He walks over to his desk and pulls out some sheet music. "You didn't by any chance write this, did you?" He hands it to me. "My melody!" I exclaim. "But, why do you have it? I thought I lost it."

"Someone found it on the third floor of the concert hall and thought it was mine. And this is no mere melody. This is an aria." I stare up at him. "Much better than mine in fact. I could never write something like this." He walks over to his piano. "Why don't you sing it for me?"

"N-now?" I stammer. "Are you booked? Fall, perhaps?" He places the music on the piano. "Come. Sing."

I slowly walk over and sit down lightly. I place my fingers on the keys gently, finding a small bit of courage in the fact that I am playing at my father's piano. I close my eyes, take a deep breath, and think about why I wrote this song. Before I can really gather my mind, the words tumble out of my mouth and I throw myself into the song. Every word has a meaning to me. Every note has a story. As the song ends, I pull my fingers away, wishing I could sit here for hours. This piano is so beautiful; I understand why my father never plays on another. I remember my father was standing next to me and I turn to look at him. A tear- one single tear- falls from his eye.

"You wrote that?" My father says, hugging me tightly. "With all my heart," I respond. "Well get ready. Someone very special is about to sing it." He holds my face in his hands.

"Your mother."    

AN: I hope these chapters make sense, the ones I've written can get pretty long so I'm trying to cut them down. Let me know what you think, comment, vote, and I love you guys!!