CHAPTER ONE||HAYDEN HEIRESS

Earlier in the month, Rory was greeted with a lawyer and Francine Hayden at her dorm in Branford housing at Yale University. Paris, her roommate, and sort of best friend was most likely to be out somewhere with Doyle, her on-and-off boyfriend.

Rory had hesitantly welcomed her paternal grandmother and the Hayden family lawyer inside. Rory went on to ask what she wanted and why she had a lawyer with her as Francine and the lawyer took seats on her couch. Rory simply sat on the adjacent chair, waiting for answers.

Francine had explained the whole situation to Rory, regarding the Hayden name and how she felt about not being there as she grew up and that she was sorry for the way she was treated all those years ago when they met for the first time that Rory could unhappily remember. Nodding along, the youngest Gilmore made comments and questions when she was supposed to during the Hayden matriarch's explanations. Then she turned to the lawyer who went on to explain her inheritance and how his services extend to her as well, but if she had a lawyer already that was perfectly fine, and he'd be willing to work with her lawyer to come up with the best possible solutions to handle the inheritances and all the troubles that will come with it.

Francine then went on from there, hoping that what she had to say wouldn't make her angry and run. She knew that according to all heirs and heiresses in the American-Connecticut & American-Massachusetts High Society, that the family business was usually the bridge breaker to many familial relationships.

"Lorelai--" Francine quickly changed to address her by her nickname that the youngest Gilmore had insisted on: "Rory, dear. The Hayden's are an important family, and we need you as the heiress. I know you understand this responsibility well, especially with that new boyfriend of yours."

Rory went to refute, but by the amused and smug look on her Hayden grandmother's face Rory decided to be quiet and continue to listen to what Francine had to say.

"Georgia isn't ours anymore, Sherry took full custody last year and Christopher finally understands why we insisted on a prenup when they wed. I understand that your mother and father will not get back together and that is perfectly fine. However, we are running out of time for an heiress. I understand that you want to be a journalist, but we want you to take over Hayden Law in name. Your father is running it, so you would be a silent partner and shareholder. Of course, you would have a vote when it matters, but you would need a Law certificate at the very least. If you need time to consider that's what I expected, but you only have until next week to decide. Please, take your time. I don't want to force you. But with your dad being in a slump and neglecting his duties at the law firm, the board is getting very bold, and I don't know how long it will last before they vote. Please consider everything, Fredrick will leave the copies of paperwork for you to review," Francine paused before tentatively asking, "Do we have a deal?"

Francine waited patiently for Rory's answer. She watched as Rory had furrowed her brows in concentration, her mind was working, and Francine couldn't be more relieved to have such a brilliant grandchild—not that Christopher isn't smart, nor is Lorelai, but the brilliant mind that was gifted to her grandchild was going to move the world of business and society into a positive and modern direction and she was going to be lighthouse for all next generations of Gilmore-Haydens (and Huntzbergers, if their relationship turned out that way).

Rory thought for a moment, thinking things over, and taking in everything. It was a lot, but she knew that this was important and that she needed to think carefully. She wanted to help, but she wasn't sure if she could take her Hayden heritage with a grain of salt. She knew her mother wouldn't want her to be considering anything—that was one thing she knew for certain. Rory looked from the lawyer to her grandmother and then carefully replied, "I would like to take the week to consider, but I'm sure I will contact you soon."