I Actually Do Understand

Cody fell asleep shortly after he explained everything. I think he's just mentally exhausted, he definitely seemed like it. I had emailed our Dean and he emailed our teachers telling them what was going on. The guys came to check on Cody during lunch. "Guys, he needs his sleep. I said you could be in here to keep an eye on him, but I don't want you raising a racket, understand?" I ordered. "Yes Ma'am." I got very serious looks from the boys. I left to go grab the pizza I had ordered for Cody, when he woke up, and I. "LIA!" I turned and saw three of the boys from Rian's group jogging toward me. "What happened? Why weren't you in class?" The boys weren't at breakfast this morning. "Um, Cody had an emergency and he needed me. Dr. Way emailed our teachers and we're both excused." They walked with me to the front office. There next to the secretary, sat two pizzas. "Mrs. Getter! How is he?" Dr. Way popped out of his office to ask this. "He's asleep at the moment, I knew he'd be hungry and I'm quite famished myself. I ordered us some pizzas." He nodded and handed me the two boxes. "Let me know if anything changes, like if I need to call his sister." I nodded. "Yes sir." He waved me off and I walked out, accompanied by the boys. "Look guys, this doesn't concern any of you. He needs me and I guess in a way I'm starting to need him. I don't expect you to understand." They stopped and looked at me like I grew three heads. "Since when did Cody care about anyone but his small little group? He's playing you. I'd leave before you get hurt." I frowned. "I'm not you Alex. I'm someone that understands his pain and anger. Do you think I could just stand there and watch as he self destructs? Because I can't. And since when do you get to lecture me about getting hurt? You hurt someone way more important."

I stormed back to my room, fuming. I opened the door and placed the pizzas on my desk. I looked at my bed, to find it empty. "I was in the bathroom, why'd you leave?" I whirled around to see Cody with messy bed head and a sad crooked smile on his face. "I ordered us some pizzas from Domino's. I figured you'd be hungry when you woke up." He smiled gratefully and reached for the food. "You looked annoyed, what's up?" I pushed a hand through my hair. "Alex was being a douche, it's okay though. How're you feeling?" He shrugged and swallowed a bite of food. "A little better. I'm glad you stayed though, I was afraid you'd run as soon as I fell asleep." I looked at him in shock. "Its just, no has ever seen me break down like that and just stay. Besides the guys anyway. I tend to just keep it to myself." I grabbed his hand, making him look at me. "I understand, it took me three months before I was able to talk about it. Simon was my everything, possible more than friends, if he stuck around. I never saw through his smiles, that he was hurting. If I saw it, I would've helped. Cody you just need someone who understands, and is willing to be there for you. Lucky for you, I'm right here and as much as you may want, I'm not leaving." He looked at me through his fringe, his lip caught between his teeth. "I'm here for you as well, you're right I need a new face, someone who knows how it is. Maybe we could be like how you were with Simon."