03

"What a crappy place." Max deadpanned. We nodded in agreement. "I mean- they can't even separate their male and female patients." Everything was fine until my ribs started acting up again, so I had to be in surgery again. It was just a checkup to see if they were doing okay, so I was admitted for 3 more months. Then my parents called me to tell me they were visiting. That immediately made my day 10 times worse and just when I thought it couldn't even get worse, my sister said she'd visit too. 

"It'll be alright," Ian assured me. I sighed, "Maybe, but you guys don't know how much they  suck." The hospital lights were so bright and it was the chatter outside of our room that made my migraine worsen. I had realized that I hadn't checked my phone in months. It was sitting on my end table. The temptation to pick it up strengthened, but I knew that if I did, I'd probably have to bang my head against the wall because of the huge headache it would cause me. I fell back on my bed, sighing yet again. The bruises I had earned from the crash were turning brown, they were everywhere. I couldn't bear to look at myself in the mirror because I knew I looked worse than shit.

Everything in this hospital was grey, my hospital gown, the bed sheets, the floor, my mood. Fortunately, it was my favorite color. I stared at everyone, Chloe was applying lipstick. She maintained her looks while being stuck here, unlike me. She wore a soft pink lip and only applied it to the inner corners of her mouth. Max nodded off and Ian was on his phone. I looked over at George and he was staring at Chloe with so much adoration. It made me sad because I knew I was never going to find someone like that.

"He's going to ask her to be his girlfriend when we get discharged," Ian whispered to me. "We're all getting better, even Max. Cancer's been tough on the guy. George though, he didn't want to get better, but when he met Chloe I think he's a changed guy. It's a shame, to be honest, Chloe's not really good for him. If they're happy...I guess I'm happy." I was confused. "What do you mean she's not good for him?" Ian shrugged, scrunching his face up. He was so aloof about something so serious, like his friend's relationship. "Well I mean, she's kinda- how do I put this in a nice way? She's a bit too friendly with guys. Not that it's a bad thing! But George is soft, and he'd do anything for the people he loves." I nodded. 

Ian was...really talkative. I continued to watch the small tv screen stuck to the hospital wall. It was on the news and there were depressing things happening in the world. Like a murder, a bombing. I decided not to make this room more gloomy than it already was and changed the channel to MTV. We all groaned when we heard the familiar sound of "God's Plan" Don't get me wrong, it was a good song but it was so overplayed. I flicked to some gaming shows, cooking shows, and reality shows. Nothing seemed to pique my interest, so I decided to shut it off.  It was so gloomy and quiet, so I decided to take a nap. I felt a pang of jealousy when Ian told me George was going to ask Chloe out, which didn't make sense because I didn't like him. 

Did I?