Chapter 7

Sherlock followed the lady to the closed of parts of the museum. Three different footsteps echoed against the walls. First, the loud clacking of the lady's high heels, second, Sherlock's heavy steps of his black leather shoes, and third, John soft steps of someone whose live once depended on his ability to walk without sound. They passed several closed doors, each locked, secured and impossible to enter without a pass and code. They encountered nobody else in the bland corridors. Eventually, Jeanine stopped for a door that looked more used than the others. When reaching into her pocket the rattling sound of keys could be heard and after a few seconds she produced her security pass out of her pocket. She quickly swiped it through the security system in the wall and pressed four of the number buttons on the wall. (2-4-7-1, easy enough for Sherlock to figure out) after that a long loud buzzing sound could be heard, indicating that the door was open. She turned slightly and smiled a mischievous smile towards Sherlock.

"After you.'' she said, motioning gracefully towards the room.

Sherlock cocked his head, but then nodded. This woman was probably just flirting. He had been told he was attractive by several people and as he had noticed earlier, this women spend most of her free time chasing after men. She wasn't unattractive herself, but for the moment Sherlock didn't think it would be necessary to answer or acknowledge her flirtations, that, until the woman proved to have more information he needed to acquire.

He entered the room and was immediately greeted by dozens and dozens of shelves and cabinets. Each one full with boxes which seemed to be loaded with files and maps containing photo's. After him, John entered the room and let out a soft whistle.

"That are a lot of boxes...'' And Sherlock had to suppress the urge to comment on his companions obvious statement.

"These.'' the lady had followed them into the room. "are copies and photos of every Egyptian artifact ever to enter the British museum, along with some research papers of well-known professors who have worked along with us. Professor William wanted access to them, for personal research."

Professor William, that must the cover Kevin used when he contacted the museum, but Sherlock noticed they way she said the name, almost the same way she had said 'agents' earlier. This lady was smart, could read people to a certain degree. Obviously she had doubted this William as much as she doubted them, but still, she had been forced to give them access. Just like she was forced to give them access now...

To his surprise, it was John who asked the question he wanted to ask.

"Do you maybe know which one of the boxes he picked to study? I mean, there are a lot to pick from..."

She looked and smiled at John the same way a teacher smiles to the annoying and failing student who comes and beg for a second chance, just before they have the pleasure to say 'no' and watch the hope die in the kids eyes.

"No"

She'd make a great teacher.

She turned to Sherlock again, and the sweet smile returned. Something was off, but his headache made it difficult to concentrate, let alone win an argument with the woman before him. He made a mental note to confront her another time, when his head didn't feel like it had some moron had used it as a pinata.

"I have to ask you to finish your research before closing time, that's in three and a half hour. You have to understand I can't let you alone in the national British Museum, you know. I'll check up on you every so often."

And with that, she left the room. Leaving the consulting detective and blogger alone to start the almost impossible job figuring out what Kevin had been researching. But of course, Sherlock wouldn't be Sherlock if he hadn't already have a plan.