Chapter Nine : Marilyn

Marilyn

I'm pretty excited to go out with friends, like I said, it's a relatively new thing for me. I listen to show tunes as I get ready, which is pretty normal. Nate's moving out this weekend, which I am ultimately depressed about, but I can pretend everything is normal, because he's not leaving until tomorrow. So I can still be happy about today.

I throw on a blue and white striped polo with a white skirt, and brush my hair probably more than I really need to. After debating for all of one long minute, I decide to put a small amount of makeup on. Then, I brush my teeth and skip downstairs.

I still have an hour before Sara said she'd pick me up, so that means I have an hour of waiting around, doing nothing, thinking about the hour that'll come after. I'm sitting in the living room when Nate enters.

"Hey Marilyn," he smiles at me as he takes a seat next to me.

I smile back at him. "Hey," I say.

After a few seconds of awkward nodding and smiling, Nate asks, "So how are you today?"

I laugh, mostly at our awkwardness, but partially because I'm trying so hard to ignore the glaringly obvious. That we won't be able to be together like this anymore. But I'll be fine, it's no big deal.

"I'm good," I tell him with a shrug, "I can help you pack your stuff for the next hour or so."

Nate smiles sadly at me. He seems to be thinking over his answer for a while, and eventually he speaks again. "You know, I really don't like to leave you alone, especially stuck with Mum and Dad," we both laugh at that, "but -"

"I know," I cut him off, "I get it, and it's fine. I'm really happy for you."

Nate stares at me for a second. Then he leans over and hugs me tightly. As my surprise fades, I hug him too. "I'll miss you, Monroe." he murmurs.

"I'll miss you too," I say, "But you know this is the best thing for you."

Nate sighs, and nods slightly as he pulls away from me. "We can just pretend that nothing's going to change," he suggests weakly, "Just for today."

"Yeah," I agree, "Let's do that."

We just talk for the next hour. And it's incredibly nice. We've always had this great dynamic together. We just get along.

I hear the doorbell ring, and I stand to answer it. When I open the door, it's Sara that greets me.

"Hey!" she chirps with a cheerful wave.

"Hi," I smile, "I just have to put my shoes on, give me one second." I sit down on the floor and begin to tug my blue converse onto my feet.

"Take all the time you need!" Sara is far more bubbly than is usual for her today. Maybe she's excited, but I always thought she would consider herself above that. Excitement. Then again, I barely know her.

"Hiiii," Sara's greeting someone again, but I'm momentarily confused. She's already said hi to me, hasn't she?

I look up at her, and see her smiling at my brother!? Okay . . .

I shake my head at myself. Well, internally, not externally. Of course she's not going to try to flirt with my brother. She has a serious case of the Warrens, as diagnosed by doctor me.

"Hey," Nate nods to her, making his way across the room to shake her hand. Whatever he's thinking, he doesn't let it show.

Luckily, at that moment, I manage to finish tying my shoe. I hop to my feet and make for the door. "See you later!" I wave to Nate as I pull Sara out the door and shut it behind me.