chapter 1.

Warning: This book contains serious topics and language. Don't feel pressured to read.
Thank you all for everything.

Nova's pov

Life is full of second chances. That's what's so great about the universe. We're able to have second chances no matter what. It's what we do with our second chance though that matters. We can't just waste the gift of having a second chance. We have to take it and use it to the best of our abilities. So many people will try to tear you down but you have to keep your head up high. People don't understand what's different from how things are from themselves. People have such high standards and are quick to judge other people. I've learned to just push all of it aside. All the comments, remarks, dirty looks, whispers...I've learned to shut all of it out. Don't get me wrong, there are kind people in this world, but the majority are evil.
Always keep your eyes open.

This past year and a half has been one hell of a journey. I thought my life would change back drastically. I thought things would all set back to place where they left off. I was so wrong. I feel like an outsider. No one knows how to feel about me. People have respect for me, but they also question me. They wanna know answers to everything. They want to know why I did what I did. Why I didn't contact police. How I'm doing. Am I in therapy. They look at me like I'm a victim. There's sympathy in their eyes.

I wasn't a victim. I don't feel like a victim. I hate when people treat me like I'm one. I don't want to be connected to what happened anymore. I've mentally moved on. People need to learn to move on too. It happened and no one can change it. It's something that's numb to me. There's no more sadness in me. I'm just angry. Whenever I think about him or the others, I get angry. I tell myself to just calm down though. Take a breather and relax because you got a second chance.
I got my life back.

I hear the bell ring from the front door and I snap out of my thoughts. I sigh to myself then I continue cleaning off tables and go back behind the counter. I work at a cafe in my neighborhood. It was the start to my new life and I actually really enjoy it.

"Hi, how can I help you today?" I said smiling to the customer.

"Oh my God. Are you, Nova? Nova Allen? The girl who got kidnapped by Jason McCann?!" This teenage girl said and I just froze. It didn't shock me though. I've heard this plenty of times, but it's been awhile. Everyone in this town knows me so hearing this took me by surprise. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to attack you like that. I just...Im new to the town. I heard about your story in the news. You're very brave" She said and I gave a small smile.

"Thank you" I said awkwardly. I watched as she just stared at me and I coughed a little to break the stare.

"Oh, right! Could I just have a small coffee please?" She said.

"Coming right up" I said grabbing a cup and turned to make the coffee. It's really annoying to hear stuff like that. It's annoying knowing people feel sad for you. They say stuff like "you're brave" or "you're a survivor." If only they knew the true story of what went down that year.

I finish making the coffee then I put it on the counter in front of her. "$2.00" I said and she pulled out her wallet. She handed me the money then smiled and started staring again. I roll my eyes a little then I snap.

"What?!" I kind of yell and her eyes widen.

"Nova" I heard my boss say and I sighed.