Chapter 18: Free Fall

I was busy sketching the outlines of the DragonCraft (that's what they call their 'airplanes') when felt a familiar warmth spread across my shoulder. I turned my head to see Christian had dozed off and was resting his head awkwardly on my shoulder.

"Your neck is going to be so stiff," I thought to myself as I brushed his soft coal hair away from his forehead. Looking down at my sketch-work, I sighed and closed my sketchbook and tucked it into my rucksack, along with my stationary.
I lifted up the arm rest that divided Christian and I. I turned my back against the window and turned Christian so his chest was facing me. I slid him towards me and allowed his head to rest on my lap.
I blushed when he sleepily wrapped his warm arms around my waist.

I played with his hair and made small plaits all over. I may have accidentally pulled too hard on his hair because he jerked his neck and knocked his head on the hard wooden chair in front of us.

"Aahh, damn Andy, can't a dragon catch some sleep?" He asked grouchily as he rubbed his forehead and curled his legs into a ball. What a baby.

"Oh stop whining you big doofus," I chuckled as flicked his ear.

He groaned and grabbed his ear, " Stop, you midget of a bully!"

"Make me," I challenged and crossed my arms.

Christian looked up at me and a playful grin spread across his face, " Challenge accepted."
He pulled himself up to eye level with me, resting his muscular chest on mine. Heat spread like wild fire all of my body, he ran his hands up and down my thighs, causing my cheeks to turn an unforgiving red.

"Christian! We are in public!" I hissed under my breath. I scanned the plane to see if anyone could see us, but everyone was either sleeping or engrossed in the little TVs in front of them.

"And so?" He asked teasingly, " I want them to know that you're mine," he said as he leaned into my ear.

"Who said I was yours hhmm?" I replied cheekily, wagging my finger in his face.
A low grow emitted from his chest. I gave a small jump and retracted my finger from his face. He leaned in close, his lips just brushing against mine.

"Your neck would be able to say that... my mark would look good there.... don't you think?" He asked huskily.
Not being able to handle the burning heat he was giving me, I pushed him off and gave him a swat on the head.

"Nice try," I scoffed and jabbed his ribs.
Christian pouted and shrugged.

That's all I can do... try," he gave me a sincere smile and grabbed my hand, " Every single day."
I smiled back and gave his hand a squeeze.

I was about to ask when we would land when a loud screech filled our ears.
Before we could locate where the screech was coming from, the DragonCraft started to lean deeply to it's right, causing us all to go stumbling and falling down.

As I was flown out my seat, I crashed hard against the craft's ceiling before falling onto something sharp that cut right through my right arm's flesh and bone. I looked at my arm in horror to see that the chair that I landed on had broken and a convenient, deathly sharp piece of sturdy wood was left to impale my arm.
A cry of agony escaped my mouth as the plane started to roll over and over, causing my arm to twist and turn against the splintered piece that was sticking through it.

People were being thrown all about. I looked around desperately for something to free myself of my torture. But to no avail, nothing I could reach was of any use.
I then looked around to see if I could spot Christian and Talia, praying that they weren't in the same sort of position as I was.