chapter seven

When I woke up at a more reasonable hour, I remembered what happened at three in the morning.

Zack wasn't next to me either, he's probably down stairs.

"Morning." I said as I came into the livingroom.

"Morning! How'd you sleep?" Alex asked.

"Great, he's like a pillow." I replied, pointing to Zack.

"You both looked comfortable." Lisa replied and showed me her phone.

It was me and Zack, I was curled up in his chest, his arms around me. No wonder I woke up at three in the morning completely hot.

"So last night, I woke up. I needed some water, mind you it's like three in the morning. Sam called on the landline saying he'd be by to discuss things with you, I took notes." I said and walked to the kitchen, where the pen and paper laid right where I left it.

I walked back to the living room and handed it to Alex.

"He said he'd have you sign some foster parent applications later this week. And then a few months before court, he'll have you guys sign adoption papers. Only if you want to." I said.

"We've discussed it already. We'd be more than happy to have you in our home." Lisa replied.

"Thank you." I said.

For once in my life, I've felt happy and content in my life.

"Can I have a ride? I need something." I requested.

"I want a coffee, I'll take you." Alex replied, standing up.

"Let me put clothes on first, then we can go." I said and jogged upstairs.

I put on some shirt Lisa had given me and a pair of leggings.

I put on my shoes and found the cash that I had been saving for years in the bottoms of my shoes.

Under the soles.

I walked back downstairs, when a baseball cap and sunglasses were put on my head.

"Can't have you getting recognized." Alex explained, and we were out of the door.

"So. What'd you need?" Alex asked, fiddling with the radio and backing out of the driveway.

"I want some change. My hair." I said, picking up what I think is my rather boring blonde hair.

"I like the blonde." Alex replied.

"I hate it. I want to be unique. Plus, my dad has blond hair. I look too much like him. While my little sister got my mom's gorgeous dark brown, almost black, hair." I said, picking at my hands.

Another habit.

My brother used to tell me that geese would eat my fingers if I kept picking at them.

"Your brother told you what?" Alex laughed.

"I said that out loud." I groaned.

"You did indeed, it was funny though. I also didn't know you had a brother." He said, rounding a corner to a busy street.

"Yeah. He was like five years older than me. He passed away too." I whispered.

"I'm sorry to hear that. This tattoo, on my hand. It's for my brother. He's no longer alive either. What was your brothers name?" Alex asked, stopping at a red light.

"His name was Matt. What about your brother."

"His name was Tom." Alex replied, his voice sounded shaky.