chapter thirty-seven

We all loaded in the car, Dylan and I in the back. Which meant that Jack had to be gross.

"No canoodling back there." Jack glared.

"No being gross around my kids Jack Bassam." Lisa said.

Dylan and I listened to music on my phone, I drank my smoothie and even got some extra sleep until Jack yelled at us for apparent 'canoodling.'

"Jack no offense but fuck off." I said.

When we got to the rival school that we were competing against, I went to the locker room and found Bri.

"Hey, how'd that movie thing go with Dylan and your family?" She asked the minute she saw me.

"Pretty good. Tom likes him, so that's good. My parents actually left us downstairs after we fell asleep." I said.

"Must have a lot of trust in him. He's a good one then. Is he coming to the party?" She asked.

"I can ask him if he wants to. He's here. I'll ask him after the meet." I said.

She nodded and we got changed.

We went out to the pool and practiced, then waited about fifteen minutes for the meet.

I waited with my heat near my lane, and had many people sharpie my legs with my times and scores and all that, what heat I was in and what lane. So I wouldn't forget.

Something I've gotten good at is holding my breath a lot longer than what I should be. But it's cut my time off. I could qualify for state. Once I didn't come up for air until I flipped.

That's a whole lane. And since we use the schools pool, which is about half the size of an Olympic pool which is fifty meters. So I swam without coming up for air for eighty-two feet exactly, and I think that's pretty good.

But my team thought otherwise, as I got first in my first heat.

Even coach, who usually didn't express anything, gave me a good clap on the back when I got out of the pool.

I got a break from my first heat as another went on, and my next was three. Then I had two heats in a row. Skip one, and have my last one. Then wait for the rest of the team to finish.

"You did good today Gaskarth. Nice work." Coach Riley said.

"Thanks." I said.

"I'm serious. You could qualify for state. And then you could go for nationals. And you know what that means if you get to nationals. Scholarships, possibly the Olympics. This could be good for you kid." She said.

"I know. It's just surreal." I said.

"Okay, well. Go get changed kid. Be sure to ice up tonight." She said and left me alone.

I walked over to my family first.

"I almost thought you were drowning out there. When you didn't come up until you flipped." Alex said, pulling me into a side hug.

"Nice work." Jack said.

"Thanks Barakat. Guess what Coach told me." I said.

"What?" Dylan asked.

"She said in the next couple meets, if I keep improving, I might qualify for state." I replied.

"That's awesome!" Jack said.

"Here, you two get together so I can get a picture." Lisa said, motioning for Dylan and I to get together.

"I don't want to get him all wet." I said, but Dylan pulled me into his side.