5

"Boys? Have you found a shirt?"

Felix and Pj jumped apart at the sudden sound of Clara calling up to them. Felix's cheeks were flushed and he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. Pj kept his eyes on him and yelled back to his mother, "Yeah, we're coming down now." They stood for a few moments, Pj staring at Felix as he looked at the ground.

"We should uh..." Felix trailed off while jerking his thumb back in the direction of the stairs.

"Oh! Yeah." Pj snapped out of it and gestured for Felix to go first. He slowly followed behind him on the stairs, watching his hair flop as he bounced down. Once Felix reached the bottom of the staircase, he was immediately engulfed back into conversation, completely oblivious to the daze Pj was left in.

Pj was numb with shock and confusion. He had just kissed his best friend twice within ten minutes of each other. The second time initiated by the both of them and Felix sort of asked for it. Pj couldn't help but wonder if Felix felt the same way he did. Slightly lost and wanting a bit more.

When did all of this happen? This attraction. How had it gone unnoticed for their whole friendship until just now?

'Shut it down Pj. You're just being effected by the circumstances. Felix is still just a friend. My best friend. I can't just change that with two small kisses. They sure were nice though. He's got such soft lips and the feeling of his beard... Oh my god! Shut up!' Pj scolded himself. He pulled a chair out from the dining table and dropped into it. His chin rested in his hands as he stared out of the sliding glass door trying to decide what to do with these feelings.

"Peej, you feeling okay? Did something happen upstairs with you and Felix?" Pj's dad asked as he sat down next to him.

"Hm?" Pj turned his gaze to his father.

Ben leaned in closer and whispered, "Did you have a row over the shirt?"

"Oh. No. We're fine. I just uh...I need a minute. Got some stuff to think about," he responded.

His father nodded his head, "Whatever it is I'm sure it'll be okay."

Pj pulled a smile to help reassure him that he was okay. "I'm going to step outside for a moment." Ben patted his shoulder and let Pj slide out the glass door.

.

About 10 minutes later Felix suddenly realized he hadn't seen Pj for a while. He shifted forward in his seat on the couch to get a better view of the inside of the house.

"What are you looking for, Felix?" an aunt asked.

"Pj. I haven't seen him since we came downstairs."

The aunt simply pointed to the doors and Felix saw the back of Pj. He was leaning on the railing of the porch.

"Ah. If you'll excuse me I'm going to check on him." Felix stood up and made his way over to the glass doors. Before stepping outside, he gave a little knock on the glass to alert Pj. He turned around at the noise and gave him a smile. Felix stepped out and walked forward to lean on the rail beside him.

"Hey," Pj said as he rested his elbows on the wooden ledge again.

"What're you doing out here," Felix asked looking up at him and squinting his eyes as the sun was directly behind Pj.

"Needed some air I think. Feeling kind of strange." Pj continued to look out across the yard instead of at Felix.

Felix sighed realising Pj was probably referring to the incident that happened upstairs. "Look, that kiss? It was just...just me trying it again so next time it wouldn't be so awkward. You know? It didn't mean anything. We gotta make this believable for your family, right?" Felix cringed as the words came out of his mouth.

Pj's stomach dropped along with his head. "Oh. Well, yeah. I mean, this is still just for the weekend. None of this really means anything," Pj lied.

"Right. Yeah. Okay...I'll see you inside then. When you come in, I mean."

Pj nodded his head. After a moments hesitation, Felix put one arm around Pj and gave him a quick side hug. Pj popped his head up and turned as Felix slipped back into his parents' house.