Chapter 7

*Madison's POV*

A few days had passed. Daryl and I were accommodated back into our tents, where he rest further. I rolled out from the sleeping bag, tugging my worn boots over my feet, before heading out of the tent and perching myself on a nearby log where the survivors were gathered for breakfast. It was beans; Again.
Glenn stared to the floor, then his eyes diverted to Maggie's who was perched on the farm porch, she shook her head sharply. I raised my brows in confusion. Glenn held a gaze with Dale who nodded gently, heightening my confusion furthermore.
"There's walkers being kept alive in the barn." Glenn stuttered,  my jaw dropped, the blood rushing from my brain. I covered my mouth with my palm to hold in a gasp.
Shane shot up, grabbing his shotgun, heading towards the barn, the rest of group following suit. My legs were weak, soft. "No! You can't do this, Hershel is our host, he still sees them as people, they're his family." Dale stated stepping in front of the door to the barn, his arms out wide blockading it.
"I can't live here, knowing there's a time bomb on the other side of the field waiting to break free, I say we go to Fort Benning." Shane insisted.
"My daughter is still out there!" Carol screamed from behind. "Have you ever considered that your daughter is dead, she's gone either way." Shane snapped coldly. "I'm close to finding her, I'll go back out today." Daryl spoke out, stepping forward. "In the state of health you're in." Shane scoffed. Daryl stormed off towards the stables, his crossbow over his shoulder, Carol and myself quickly following suit. I turned back to face the barn, the doors now shook, whatever monsters inside, desperate to break free.
Daryl had already began saddling a horse inside. "I don't want you to go after Sophia today, you're in no fit state, I couldn't stand losing you too." Carol stated, I nodded in agreement, placing a hand upon his shoulder. Daryl angrily slapped it away, throwing the saddle to the floor and storming out. I sighed, running a hand through my hair.
I headed inside the farmhouse where the group had joined Hershel for lunch. I sat on a small stole, staring down at my plate to avoid awkward eye contact with the Greene family.
"I want you all off my farm by morning." Hershel simply stated.
"Please, reconsider, you don't know what it's like out there, you only saw the outbreak on the news, you never saw the heartbreak in person, if you did, you would understand, my wife is pregnant." Rick sighed.
Lori's pregnant?
I raised my brows, making eye contact for a little too long with Lori.
"This farm is special, it's a safe haven." Rick continued, wiping his forehead.
"You obey my rules and my rules only, then I'll let you stay." Hershel asserted, Rick nodded thankfully, before the group dispersed outside. The group gathered round Daryl's car bonnet, preparing the search grid for the day, Jimmy jogs over waving his hands.
"Two of our walkers our trapped, Hershel wants Rick and Madison to help free them and bring them back to the farm." Jimmy revealed, catching his breath. I held of my hands in protest, yet Rick nodded, grabbing my arm, dragging me towards where Hershel was standing.
"Thank you." Hershel smiled, handing us both a long pole with a loop on the end.
We headed deep into the woods, Rick closely by my side. After a mile of trekking, we finally reached the swamps, revealing two walkers in the bog, their legs practically glued to the floor, their jaws still desperately clamping together, snarling.
"They were my neighbours, still are. The woman owned the farm next door to mine, she was always a close friend of the family. Otis was the one who brought them into the barn, sometimes he brought in random people, nether the less we took them in, hoping one day the cure will be found." Hershel sighed, signalling for us to hook the loops around the walkers necks. I hooked the dead man on the left, while Rick took the woman on the right.
"We've been to the CDC, France was furthest in developing a cure and now the CDC is no more, it exploded." Rick stated. I flinched at the mention of the CDC.
Some secrets are best kept hidden.
I  tugged the walker free from the swamp, keeping it a safe distance from my body, heading back towards the farm. Rick followed suit.