Chapter 14

*Madison's POV*

My eyes eventually peeled open, the morning Georgian sun instantly blinding me. My back was one spasm of pain from sleeping on the hard concrete. I rolled over, nudging Daryl slightly, causing him to stir.

"Time to get up already?!" Daryl groaned, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He wrapped his arms around waist, pulling me back down on top of him.

"Can't we just stay 'ere all day." He mumbled from beneath me.

"I wish, but come on, best to clear the prison as early as possible." I sighed, sitting up, tying the laces of my Doc Martin's. I ran a comb through my curls, before practically having to drag Daryl down the stairs of the tower. 

"Ready? Hey! Daryl! Madison! Over here! Hurry! It's already the goddamn afternoon!" Rick shouted, beckoning us over with his hands. To my surprise, everyone was already up and armed, their eyes all directed at myself and Daryl. I shuffled over awkwardly, my head down to avoid their stares. As we finally came in contact with the group, to my confusion I was handed a machete.

"So, you and Daryl huh?" Jax teased, I nudged him playfully, rolling my eyes, causing his grin to widen even more.

"We're dangerously low on ammo, so we go in there, hand in hand, in formation, nobody breaks from the circle, we stick together. Lori, Carol, Carl, Beth and Hershel stay here. We'll take the courtyard and Cell block C in no time." Rick ordered.

"Well it looks secure." I stated.

"Hey that's a civilian... See? The whole prison could be overrun with walkers, plus there could be a breach in the wall." Daryl spoke up.

"We'll worry about that later, right now we need to push in." Rick assured.

With that, Lori quickly opened the gate, letting us scatter through before locking it once again.

We were knitted in a tight circle formation so all areas were covered. Soon many of the walkers lay lifeless on the ground, all apart from the five SWAT walkers of whom were heavily armoured. Rick broke free from the formation making a sprint for the courtyard gate, hacking the heads of a few walkers blocking the gate. Rick swiftly locked it, before joining the formation once more.

I pounced, ripping a SWAT helmet off from one of the walkers, driving my machete through the back of its skull. The others quickly copied this method, swiftly putting the SWAT walkers down.

Maggie screamed, unable  to remove the riot gear. I rushed over to her tackling the limping walker to the floor, somehow managing to trip and fall beneath it. I used all my force to push the extremely heavy walker off of me, its jaws constantly snapping dangerously near to my neck. Eventually the helmet tugged free, and I sunk my machete into its skull. I flung the walker to one side, before brushing myself down.

"Woohoo!" Glenn screamed in victory, I couldn't help but chuckle at his immaturity.

Lori opened the field gate, reuniting the group once more. Jax scooped Beth up in his arms, embracing her tightly.

"I guess he's no longer my baby brother anymore." I sighed under my breath.

"Are ya okay?" Daryl asked, wrapping his arms around my chest from behind.

"Yeah... I'm fine." I stated, running a hand through my hair.

Rick beckoned everyone to follow him into cell block C, his machete clutched tightly in his hand in case any walkers had been missed.

"What do you think?" Rick smiled, something I haven't seen in a long time from him. A smile.

"Home, sweet, home." Daryl scoffed.