Never Ending (TWD / Daryl Dixon)

The World we used to know and live in is gone...

Hell is now a reality...

Supplies are scarce...

A genetic experiment turned disastrous...

They crave human flesh...

Roaming every street...

They never go away...

You may run...

But you'll never escape...

It's Never Ending.

*Mystery POV*

Silence filled the air. The odd gust of wind whipped through my long brunette curls. The lonely birds calling in the distance. It's been days since I've last eaten a filling meal and not just the occasional energy bar. My legs feel limp and heavy beneath me. Every step is a struggle now. I staggered through the Georgian forest for what could have been an eternity. I have nothing left. Nobody left. Embedding such thoughts to the back of my mind, I thrusted forwards, scavenging for any edible supplies I may come across. The foul stench of walkers lurked in the air. Bile, blood and bones. The stench became stronger, almost unbearable as I gazed into the distance staring up into the thin branches of the tree above me. The sharp snap of branches behind me seized me out of my daydream. Without a thought, I ripped my crossbow from my shoulder and spun around directly firing an arrow into the walker's temple that had tried to jump me."Ugly bastard" I sighed. I continued staggering through the forest, the occasional branch making contact with my face and the odd bramble grazing my bare skin. My feet stung from sore blisters caused by the never ending running in boots that are too small for me. I froze. My eyes came into contact with a small owl perched on the branch in front of me. I aimed steadily, my crossbow loaded, and within a few seconds the owl was laying stiff on the forest floor. "That will last me for a good couple of days." I muttered, my southern drawl prevailing.

I was headed for Atlanta. The media had said previously that the military had set up a safe zone there. I still held a candle of hope that my brother and mother were headed for there too. Although when hell broke lose they were on holiday in Savannah. I was too busy with college work at the time. If only I could have known. I cleansed my hunting knife from the dried walker gore using a mangled handkerchief from my backpack. I squatted on the forest floor and began removing the feathers from the owl. In the distance the symbolic skyscrapers of Atlanta stood bold pushing my momentum. I stuffed the corpse into my backpack and trekked on, hoping to reach Atlanta before nightfall. A round of lonely bullets pierced the atmosphere. Followed by frequent firing and shrieks. I breathed heavily, my heart rate increasing. I ran a hand through my long curls. Are these people mad?! Firearms only attract more of these monsters, the highway nearby is most likely teeming with walkers. The screams were never ending. I had to do something. I had to help them. "Stupid idiots, they're gonna get themselves killed with their goddamn firearms." I muttered under my breath.

I darted in the direction of the exploding shells and shrieks, exerting all the force my limp legs could take, the forest clearing was now in sight. I stopped dead in my tracks as the true horror of situation revealed itself. At least a hundred walkers surrounded the small group desperately trying to fend off the walkers. It was practically impossible. I hesitated.

Do I risk my own life for a group of people I have never met? The last time I went on a run for supplies on the highway, I was lucky to escape from the grasp of the walkers. The entire highway was overrun. Though it seems now that more have congregated. The last group I dared to help, used me. They didn't care nothing for me. Just the supplies and weapons of mine. The food I gathered for them. I will never trust anyone in this hell that we call Earth. Maybe before this genetic disaster, but never again. I know one thing, this world makes you turn crazy, no matter how sane you were before.