Chapter 17

*Madison's POV*

The sounds of the siren grew louder and louder making my hands instinctively cover my ears to shield them. Now, from every direction walkers were approaching. We had been split from the other half of the group who were standing scared and practically unarmed at the other side of the courtyard.
"Lori! Carl!" Rick bellowed from beside me, signalling at the walkers undetectably coming up behind them. Lori let out a scream in realisation of the situation, grabbing Carl by the wrist tightly and pulling him inside the prison closely followed by Maggie.
"I'll be back soon, help Hershel." Daryl stated, swiftly bringing his lips to my forehead, before sprinting off with Rick. Hershel hobbled along behind me under my protection as I lead him into the prison, locking him safely out of harms way in a cell. I quickly rushed back outside, my hunting knife in hand, trying to make my way through the thick crowd of walkers. Their snarls rung inside my ears, driving me insane. Desperately and frantically I took as many down as possible, colliding my knife with their skull, the splitting noise making me wince in disgust. I spun around on my heel, scanning the courtyard, looking for a clear path to safety yet evermore walkers seemed to cloud my view, crowding around me. 

"T-Dog!" Carol screamed, her voice breaking. I turned slowly in horror of what I may see... 

Oh god...

Around five walkers trapped T-dog within a circle, their jaws snapping and arms waving, desperate for the taste of human flesh.

"T-Dog! Hurry!" Carol cried, her voice now desperate.

"No. I'm doing what I have to do. I'm not gonna sit here and wait to die anymore. I'm done."  T-Dog calmly remarked. 

"You're becoming one of those things! One of those monsters!" Carol choked, holding her hand out, trying to beckon T-Dog. Tears began to cascade down my cheeks. Not again. For all I knew Daryl could be dead. Rick. Carl. Maggie. Jaxon...  Everyone. In this moment of distraction a walker crept behind, grabbing me by the shoulders, pulling my body underneath its. I struggled frantically trying to reach for my knife on the ground beside me while also trying to prevent the walker's teeth from sinking into my exposed neck. I finally managed to clutch my knife, gripping it firmly, penetrating the side of its skull, sending the walker collapsing on top of me, its blood oozing out, causing me to shiver in disgust at the dire situation. 

T-Dog started chortling hysterically in the distance. "It's a pact remember. This is god's plan. He'll take care of me. Just like he's gonna help me lead you out to safety. Now go." T-Dog assured before walkers piled on top of him ravishly ripping into his neck. I covered my mouth with my hand in shock, my bottom lip trembling. 

"Carol!" I squeaked shakily with hardly any volume, making myself known. 

"Don't come this way, you'll get yourself killed! Leave me! Go!" Carol yelled, her eyes welling me up. I nodded. I took off, into the nearest doorway that lead inside the prison, my knife in hand. The hard pounding of my heart in my chest echoed throughout the lonely corridors and tunnels within the prison. I wanted to call out although I was afraid to incase the prison was overrun with walkers. I catiously carried on, clutching my knife even tighter. The snarls and moans of the undead became clearer as I moved throughout. 

"Something's not right." A voice I recognised as Lori's groaned. I quickened my pace in order to try to find the origin of her voice. 

"Are you bit?" Maggie asked, her voice in panic slightly. 

"No. No, I think it's the baby. I think the baby's coming." Lori cried out in pain, her screams echoing and bouncing throughout the prison. 

"Okay, okay... In here, quickly." Maggie beckoned. I saw a few lone shadows disappear up ahead, so I jogged anxiously until a door slammed in my face. Hastily, I knocked. No answer. The snarls of the undead became louder until they were in sight. Desperately, I threw my fists against the door, bashing them constantly, making them bleed slightly.