Chapter 5

*Madison's POV*

*The next morning*

Commotion erupted on the porch of the farm, our group gathering around in a circular form, whispers echoing throughout. I clambered out of the tent, jogging over, curious as to what the commotion was over.

"He died a hero, he wanted to make things right." Shane stated. Who died?! Thoughts circled around my mind, my eyes darting off each person, trying to figure out who was missing. Carl?! No, no, no...

"We shan't tell Patricia about Otis, not until we finish surgery on Carl. It'd be too much on her." Hershel, the veterinarian, ordered. The woman with the brunette bob, whose name I learnt to be Maggie, erupted into sobs, Hershel tightly embracing her. I looked to the floor. We put this on them. "We were swarmed, I tried saving him, it was hopeless." Shane tried to sooth. "Thank you... For getting the supplies for my son." Rick patted Shane on the back, giving him a small smile. Hershel, Rick and Lori disappeared into the front room of the Greene home, Carl about to undertake surgery again. Shane also disappeared into an unknown location of the farmhouse. Hours passed while everyone nervously waited for news upon Carl's surgery. I twiddled my thumbs nervously, anxious to what I was going to hear. Rick finally emerged from the farmhouse, his head down. I expected the worst. "He's stable, the bullet fragments were successfully removed, he just needs time to heal." Rick stated, a small smile painted across his face. I let out a sign of relief, lifting my head back, smiling. Grinning. Shane whispered something in Rick's ear, I raised my eyebrows, curious. Everyone congratulated Rick, relieved about Carl's condition.

The Greene family and our group gathered around the edge of the farmland, paying our final respects to Otis. I felt extremely uncomfortable at the service, knowing if Otis had never come in contact with our group, he would still be very much so alive. "Shane, seeing as you were with Otis in his final moments, please tell me his death had meaning..." Patricia, Otis's wife trailed off.

Shane coughed awkwardly, before reluctantly stepping forth.

"Otis was a hero. He died saving Carl. He died so Carl could survive. Without him Carl may not be alive right now. We were swarmed leaving the school, he passed me the backpack of supplies, before bravely sacrificing himself so I could have a headstart. I tried to stop him, save him, but he insisted there was no other way. Otis was one of the most courageous men I had ever met in my life. He wanted to out this right. He was an inspiration to us all." Shane concluded, heartfelt. My eyes welled with tears, I had never even met Otis, but he never deserved to die. Daryl squeezed my hand tightly, I laced my fingers between his, exhaling deeply. He calmed me. As the congregation began to disperse, I quickly unlaced our fingers, following Rick as he beckoned us over to Daryl's pickup truck. Maggie spread a map across the bonnet of the vehicle.  "To help with finding that little girl of yours." She stated, giving us all a warming smile. A smile of hope. "We should search the West, circling back around the river." Rick suggested. Shane nodded in agreement, running a hand over his newly shaven head. "Neither of you are going anywhere, Rick you gave away three units of blood to Carl the other day and Shane you are in no fit condition with that ankle of yours." Hershel ordered sternly. "I'll go. Alone." Daryl flung his crossbow over his shoulder, confident on leaving. "I'll accompany him too." I spoke out.

"No Madison, I need you here on the farm." Rick commanded. I sighed.

"Take my horse, Blaze, you'll cover more ground that way." Maggie advised. Daryl disappeared into the stables, along with Maggie, who equipped him for the search.

"We should teach the rest of the group how to shoot, it's a key survival skill now." Shane recommended. "No guns to be carried on my farm unless absolutely necessary." Hershel demanded. "We're guests on this farm." Rick stated, placing down his gun, nudging Shane to follow suit. Shane reluctantly placed his gun into the weapon bag, Andrea begrudgingly copying, I was the last to put down my gun.