What Are We?-14

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Jennie asks, as she and Jisoo stand outside her apartment.

Jisoo nods hesitantly. "Yeah, I'll be fine. You should stay for dinner though."

"Will you cook?" Jennie asks hopefully.

"Of course."

Jisoo opens the door and is greeted with what used to be her happy apartment, but is now an apartment in shambles after Jinyoung decided to use her as a human pinata. Jennie can sense Jisoo tensing up next to her and shoots her a nervous glance. "Jisoo, if you're not feeling great about this you can just come bac-."

"No, I'll stay here. I'll be fine, really." Jisoo says, trying to console herself more than Jennie.

"Okay, then what's for dinner?"

"I dunno, let's just go to the grocery store and see what we can find."

Jennie grabs her car keys and heads out the door.  Soon after Jisoo follows, incredibly grateful to get out of that apartment. They pull into the parking lot of the nearest grocery store and Jennie hops out to open the car door for Jisoo.

"Ooh, what about tteokbokki?" Jisoo asks, skipping down the aisles.

"Whatever you want."

Jisoo pulls all the ingredients off the shelves and places them into the cart.

"Do you want candy or anything?" Jennie asks, pulling a pack of Pepero off the shelf.

"No, I don't think so- ooh MyChew!"

"You want that?" Jennie chuckles.

"Yeah." Jisoo says sheepishly.

Jennie laughs sweeping the entire shelf of of MyChew into her cart as Jisoo watches her with a quizzical expression.

"What?"

"I-I only wanted one."

"So the rest will be for when you want them again."

Jisoo just laughs shaking her head and snaking her arm through Jennie's.

"You're the best girlfr-. Friend. You're the best friend I could ever ask for." Jisoo says quietly.

"What are we?" Jennie asks, as they wait in line.

"Well, w-what do you want us to be?"

"Why don't we try the dating thing? I really like you. And, I think we could make it work."

"I'd like that." Jisoo smiles.

Jennie and Jisoo walk back to the car, groceries in hand and drive back to Jisoo's apartment.

"Do you like your food spicy?" Jisoo asks, making her way into the kitchen.

"No, not really. I'm a baby when it comes to spice."

"Alright, mild it is then." Jisoo says, turning on the stove.

Jennie walks around Jisoo's living room, taking in the space around her until her eyes transfix onto the same dent in the wall that she saw a week before. She walks over to it, running her fingers over the spot and staring at it. She realizes that this is near the spot where she had found Jisoo curled up on the ground, but she decides not to ask Jisoo about it.

"Food's done!" Jisoo cheers.

Jennie sits at Jisoo's small dining room table and eats the tteokbokki off of a paper plate with plastic utensils, and Jisoo sits across from her doing the same thing.

"This is really good. You should cook more often."

"I really shouldn't. I can only make this, fried chicken and instant noodles."

"Well, it's very delicious."

"Why thank you, Jendeuk Kim." Jisoo laughs.

Jisoo and Jennie spend the rest of the night laughing and talking until Jennie decides to go home.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow morning." Jennie calls, walking out of the apartment.

"Bye Nini." Jisoo waves.

As Jennie closes the door, Jisoo turns back into her empty apartment. She sighs, leaning against the door. She looks around at the empty apartment, and can't help to feel a sense of dread settle within her. She definitely isn't looking forward to falling asleep alone in this hellhole.

~~~

Jennie sits in her living room in her sweats, doing some work, and picks up her ringing phone on the table then smiles seeing that it's Jisoo. But Jennie's smile fades when she looks at the time. Why is Jisoo calling her at 2:00 AM?

"Hello?"

"Hi. Did I wake you up? Oh my god I probably woke you up, I shouldn't have called you. You know what, it's fine I'll just stop bothering you-"

"No, Jisoo, I wasn't sleeping, it's fine. What do you need?"

"I-I can't sleep. I figured talking to you would make it better. You know, I was feeling a little lonely, and it's kind of eerie being back here and everything, ever since I got injured and everything."

Jennie smiles as Jisoo keeps talking, and makes her way to the elevator. She talks with Jisoo on the phone and after a 30 minute drive to Jisoo's apartment, she parks on the street and heads over to Jisoo's door.

"Open your door." Jennie says on the phone.

"What? Why?"

"Just do it."

Jennie hears Jisoo's feet clambering over to the door and when she unlocks it she's greeted with smiling Jisoo.

"Nini, why are you here?" she asks, pulling Jennie in.

"You said you were feeling lonely, and, I'll admit I was a little lonely too."

Jisoo smiles brightly and hugs Jennie tightly. "Thank you. So much."

"You should go to bed now."

"Come with me."

Jennie happily obliges and Jisoo pulls her into her room which is littered with even more scattered clothes on the ground, and Jennie notices a whole array of stuffed animals on her bed. Jennie sits down, and feels the bed dip next to her.

"You're the best girlfriend." Jisoo smiles up at Jennie.

"Let's go to sleep. I'm tired." Jennie says, lying down on the bed.

Jennie cuddles into Jisoo's side, and wraps her arms around her waist, pulling her impossibly closer.

"Goodnight Jendeuk." Jisoo mumbles.

"Goodnight Jisoo." Jennie smiles.