Chapter Twenty Eight: Adjustment

-=Evan=-

"Evan!!" Summer screamed, full force sprinting across the room and over to me, pulling me into a deep embrace.

"Ah fuck!" I yelled out. When Summer grabbed onto me she moved my body a bit, and my gut wrenched. She jumped away quickly, throwing her paws up in the air.

"Oh my God I'm so sorry!" She squeaked out.

"Mmm...don't...worry." I grunted out, grabbing my stomach. "Just be a bit more careful."

"Didn't feel like giving up on us now didya?" Jason asked, smirking.

"Well with where that conversation was going I'm not sure if me giving up would have been the problem." I retorted.

"Ah calm yourself, I wouldn't have pulled the plug on you. Not for at least another week anyways..." He said.

"Ass..." I shook my head.

"Thank God you're okay Mr. Black, we were all becoming weary of the grim possibility that you might have not pulled through." A tall lioness doctor said, quickly scribbling something down on a clipboard, probably something like "NOT DEAD."

"Well I'd also have to agree with being pleased anout being alive, dying sucks. Anyways, anyone care to tell me what the french toast happened to me?" I asked, still massaging my belly.

The doctor, who told me her name was Dr. Chatte, explained what my condition was, which was pretty horrifying. Jason and Summer also chimed in by telling me that they had been here for days now, which must have fucking sucked, and I couldn't help but feel the slightest bit guilty for putting them through all of that, even if it wasn't necessarily my fault. I think.

"Oh jeez, how the hell could that happen?" I asked Dr. Chatte.

"Well 99% of the cases are completely random, which is what we believed was the cause for your injury." She explained.

"And the other 1%?" Jason asked curiously.

"Well the other 1% is that you, pardon my language, shat a log so big that it pulled your intestines out." She said. Jason turned to me.

"Did you happen to shit a tree Evan?" Jason asked me in a completely serious face.

"No!" I broke out laughing. "Ah fuck! Ow." I said, grasping my belly again in pain.

"Yeah, sorry about that. Your intestines have been more or less traumatized by us moving them around and probably aren't the happiest they have ever been." Dr. Chatte said.

"Probably is an understatement." I replied.

"Yeah...anyways. I am extremely busy snd I have to go. I'll alert a nurse that you are actually in fact alive. Glad to see you living Mr. Black." She responded.

"Wait!" I said. "I might actually die if I don't have something to eat...and drink. Will I be okay to do so?" I asked.

"Sort of, soup and water only or else you'll tear your intestinal wall, and trust me, that will not be pleasant in the slightest." She said. "I'll send a nurse in with something for you to eat and drink, and I'll swing by to check in on you later to make sure everything is okay. Oh yeah, side note, don't freaking get up."

"Wasn't planning on it." I laughed and she left. "That one's got a sense of humor now doesn't she?" I asked.

"Well she does now that you're awake." Summer answered. Before any of us could say anything else, a knock came from the room door. "Come in!" Summer called. An old female rabbit nurse opened the door and walked in wheeling a cart with a bowl of steaming soup and a closed pitcher of water as well as a little plastic cup. She wheeled it beside my bed.

"There you go darling, hope you feel better." She said.

"Thank you so much ma'am." I said.

"Any time, also just press this button if you ever need me." She said, pointing to a red cross button on the side of my bed. She then walked off, closing the wooden door behind her. I reached over, grabbing my bowl of soup and the spoon next to it.

"Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow." I said, ever so slowly getting back to my position.

"Need help with that?" Jason asked.

"Nah, I'm good." I amswered, bringing the spoonful of soup to my mouth and drinking it. God damn that tasted good. But however hungry I was before, the surgery must have made my stomach bipolar because I quickly got full. "Well so much for that."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=Summer=-

I was elated that Evan had finally woken up, but there was still a demon that loomed over my shoulder. Jason and I had been denying any contact from the rest of our friends for the past few days now, and they were probably in a mixture of both extremely worried and extremely pissed off.

"I'll be right back." I announced, turning around and walking out into the hallway, grabbing my phone off of Evan's bedside table. When I got out into the hallway I checked my phone to see that I had gotten another missed phone call, this time from Amy. Instead of swiping the notification away, as had become the standard as of late, I hit the "call back" option with my paw. The dialtone only rang once before she picked up the phone.

"Where the FUCK are you?!" She cried out.

"Amy...I'm sososososo sorry we haven't called. We're in the hospital because Evan's stomach got all kinds of fucked up. But he's alive and the hospital won't allow any more visitors at the moment, but when he gets a little bit better I'm sure you can all come by." I quickly said. I knew that all of that was way too much information to just dump on someone, but I had no other better way to do it. When she responded, her tone of voice had completely changed to a quiet one.

"But why didn't you call us?" She said quietly. Hearing her sound like that, the worry in her voice, made me feel extremely guilty.

"I-I just couldn't."