Chapter 8

"Anak ng tipaklong! Saan naman po ako maghahanap ng strawberries at hazelnut spread dito??!" Kian complained and whined, and Alyssa gave him a deadly stare. "Ate naman... Nasa bundok tayo!" Kian tried to explain and dropped on the couch, his head on her lap. "Kahit ano na lang, 'wag lang 'yan!" he begged, and she sighed.

She missed Kiefer. She missed everything about him, making her grouchy, She missed his eyes, his touch, his smell... She closed her eyes and said, "O siya. Ihanap mo na lang ako ng pulang mangga," she said. Kian shoot up, his jaw dropping. "Anong klaseng mangga ang pula?" he was about to cry, when he remembered, "Ah! Yun bang apple mango? Tanungin ko sina Manang Ibe kung pwedeng makahinge."

She stopped his brother before he could run out the door. "Kian, ayoko ng lamog, o nahulog sa lupa ha? Gusto ko yung medyo manibalang," she said, and Kian rolled his eyes at her. "Ibig sabihin, aakyatin ko. Pipitasin ko. Ganun?" his shoulders dropped and Alyssa laughed. "Bahala ka. Basta ayoko ng lamog, at may amoy ng kung anu-ano," she teased him, and he scratched his head as he started out.

It has already been a week since she left the big city. Ella has been calling her every night, sepanxed at the idea that Alyssa is no longer a few minutes away from her. They would talk about anything, and everything. Including Kiefer, and her future.

"Besh, pinapasabi pala ni Coach na nami-miss ka na daw niya. Wala na daw siyang hampasera na nauuto," Ella said last night. "At gusto kang puntahan ni TJ," she added.

"Gaga ka, Besh! 'Wag mong sabihin na andito ako sa Batangas!" Alyssa warned her, and she could hear Ella sigh. "Siyempre, nasabi ko na," she said, "Bakit kase nag-iinarte ka?"

"Ayoko lang na maraming nakakaalam. Ayoko lang na may isa sa inyo na makapagkwento kay Kiefer na andito ako," she muttered, and Ella chuckled. "Alyssa, malamang na alam ni Kiefer na umuwi ka sa inyo! Duh!" she joked, and Alyssa sighed.

She was actually hoping... Praying... He'd come. She just wants to see his face, even from afar.

My mommy misses my daddy...

There's that voice again. She smiled.

Isaw, hindi ko nami-miss Daddy mo, okay?

Then why do you keep on wishing you'd see him?

Huwag mong pangunahan ang nanay mo. Sleep ka lang diyan.

She could almost see her... Him... Sassily floating in her tummy. She sighed.

Everyday, there is a part of her that wants to go back and see him, even for a while. Then what? Risk the chance of being vacummed back in his life?

She'd dream of him every night. He'd be standing outside the gate, calling out her name. Her heart would start to race, seeing his face, his eyes... And she could even smell him from afar...

And she'd wake up sweating... Heart beating fast... Afraid it was true... Hoping it was true...

She stared outside the window, and rubbed her tummy. Someday, anak, your inay will be brave enough to face your itay. You will get to see him. Soon.

***********************************

"Kiefer?"

Kiefer raised his eyes from the laptop, then looked at the time. It's already past 10PM. He nodded at her, and Sarah timidly went inside his room.

Gingerly, she stepped in, and hid her hands behind her back. "I just want to tell you... I want to tell you...," she stammered, then sighed. She threw her hands in the air. "Kiefer, I don't want to be a prisoner in this house anymore. I want out."