Chapter 16

She listened hard, waiting for any sign of life.

She wiped the sweat from her forehead with the back of palm, then wiped it off on her shirt. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

What are you doing, Mom???

Shhhh, Isaw! Can't you see Mommy is mustering all her courage-

Mom. Please. You are just going to get Daddy's dirty laundry. For the love of-

Isaw. I'm warning you. Stop your profanity.

I was about to say For the love of the mother, Mom! How could you?!?

She took a deep breath.

Stealthily, she crossed the hall and went to Kiefer's bedroom. She stopped for a few seconds, listening for any sound.

He still is at work. Maybe on his way to the gym for practice.

She hurriedly gathered all his soiled laundry. And smelled each one of them.

Mom, breathe it in longer...

She coughed. Isaw, anak, I wonder when have I become a pushover when it comes to you?

Oh come on, Mom! You miss his smell! Don't deny it! Now there's a shirt peeping from under the pillows...

She hurriedly reached for it, then stopped. It was the same shirt that he used to wear in Santorini. Her knees buckled, so she slowly slid on the floor.

Oh, Mom... I'm so sorry...

Don't be, anak... It was... It was... It was beautiful.

And she remembered the times she held his hand, and the way he'd look at her, or smile that be-dimpled smile, with his camera focused on her.

How she missed cuddling next to him, or hear his voice rumbling in his chest when she lays her head on his chest. Or how he'd make her coffee, and make love to her...

She drew his shirt closer to her heart. "I love you... I love you... Pero hindi na kita pwede mahalin, alam mo 'yun? Kahit para sa anak na lang natin...," she softly muttered.

"Ikaw lang naman minahal ko... Pero ang tanga natin pareho...," tears are slowly streaming down her face. "Pero hindi na talaga ata tayo pwede. Wala ng tayo..."

She stood up and held his shirt to her bossom. Eyes closed, she murmured, making herself believe, "Wala ng tayo... Hindi na pwede tayo... Sana masaya ka... Maging masaya na tayo... Kahit wala ng tayo... Kase hindi na pwede tayo... Hindi... Hindi na kita mahal... Mula ngayon... Hindi na kita mahal..."

She heard a click.

Mom...?

Her heart was beating wildly. Was someone at the door?

She hurriedly ran, and slowly twisted the knob. She peered outside, dragging in deep breaths.

No one.

She hurriedly went back and picked up his laundry basket, running as if she is being-

She bumped into him.

"Wag tatanga-tanga, okay?" was his curt voice.

She dropped her eyes, not wanting to see him, feeling her eyes warm from the crying spell earlier. "Sorry," she murmured, and walked around him.

"At kung gusto mong magpaka-alila, sabihin mo! I could put you on my payroll!"

And he slammed the door.