Chapter 28

"How's Grandma?"

Kiefer transferred his phone to the other ear, forgetting to bring his headset. He must have dropped it somewhere and he just have to remember -

"Manong..."

Kiefer paused, sensing a tone of panic in Thirdy's voice. "Is everything okay?" he asked, stopping at what he's doing. Their two weeks of practice is almost over, and the extra week is for team building, which is synonymous to "me" time. He has booked his flight home the day after tomorrow, wanting to surprise Alyssa, making sure that she doesn't leave the city after today.

"Thirds...," he impatiently called out to his brother who seems to go silent on the other line.

"Manong," Thirdy seems to be hesitating, and buying some time, "You see, Ate Alyssa is not here."

"What do you mean not there?" Kiefer suddenly stood up, "Sinundo mo ba siya as planned?!?"

He could hear Thirdy sigh. "I did, Manong..."

"But??!" he could feel dread creeping in his heart, "Thirdy, speak up! Dammit!"

"Manong, I went to Ate Alyssa's place, and she's not there. It's like the whole family is not there."

"What do you mean they are not there? Ano yun, nawala na parang bula? Did you call out her name??! Was the house closed???" Kiefer was going around in circles, trying to dig a whole on the floor.

"That's the thing, Manong. The house was eerily abandoned. And there was nothing inside of it. Nothing."

"She didn't fucking mention she was going somewhere," Kiefer was now pulling his hair, talking to himself, "Did you ask the neighbors?"

"No one's talking. All they said was that they were moving somewhere too soon, too fast..."

"Moving fucking where?!!" he was at wit's end.  He was able to talk to Alyssa yesterday, but it was short, and static. He could not even do FaceTime because it was that bad. And during those times, she never mentioned about moving, or going away!

"Manong, here's the catch... Someone was at Ate Alyssa's place. Said it was an old man on a cane, with 3 body guards..."

"Grandpa?" Kiefer asked incredulously, "What was he doing there? How did he know her place?"

"No one is talking, Manong.  And I'm still on the road, going home-"

Kiefer hurriedly closed his phone and started packing.

He has to find his wife.

************************

He tried to rebook for an earlier flight, but there's none available, so he had to draw all his patience and camped at the airport, hoping that Alyssa is home, waiting for him. That this is all a perverted surprise to scare the wits out of him. That this is nothing but a stupid prank from Thirdy. And Grandpa.

Most especially Grandpa.

He has been trying to contact Alyssa, but to no avail. Her friends do not have a single clue where she is at. And it's scaring him.

He doesn't want to think what Grandpa could have said, or could have done.  He doesn't want to talk to Grandpa. Not yet.

He has let the tears fall down his face, all through out the flight home. He doesn't care anymore. It felt like it's too much burden if he keeps on hiding all his feelings inside.  Easier to let it all out.  He wants to reserve his strength in looking for his wife.

But what if Alyssa does not want to be found? What if Grandpa has said something to break her?

The plane is now open for boarding, and he walked hurriedly, trying to match the steady beating of his heart.  He does not know why, but he could just feel, and taste, that this is not the welcoming news he has in his mind.