Chapter 13

Alyssa slowly walked towards him, with his back on her.

He was having a night cap, and seems to be trying to unwind after a hectic day at work probably.

She cleared her throat. "Kief?"

Kiefer seems to have tensed for a bit, then slowly turned his head to look at her.

Her smile wobbled, and she sat across him.

"Sa- Thank you," she whispered, and he nodded.

She tried again, "I mean, salamat kanina. Baka kung ano na nangyari sa akin nung bumagsak ako."

He just nodded, and focused his eyes on his shot glass.

"Ku-kumain ka na? Hindi ko napansin ang pag-uwi mo. Nakatulog kase ako kanina after mag-early dinner," she asked, playing with her fingers. She is obviously feeling awkward doing the monologue.

"Ano kinain mo for dinner?" he asked, and she eagerly replied. "Tinola. Nagluto si Manang ng tinola. Masarap siya, gusto mo?" she stood up, but Kiefer stopped her. "Hindi na. Kumain na ako sa labas," he said, and took a sip from his glass.

Alyssa nodded, "Sige, magtitimpla lang ako ng gatas, then mauuna na akong matutulog-"

"Hon? Yeah, yeah... Tomorrow na lang... Lunch? Sure, okay lang ako... Sige, sige... Bye," he said, responding to a call on his mobile phone.

Alyssa tried to breathe, managed to breathe, "sige, Kief-"

"Alyssa," he called out, and Alyssa stopped and looked at his handsome face. "I... I don't want to make it any difficult for you, or for myself. So... I just want to make it clear," he said, clearing his throat, "I don't want you to have any romantic notion of us ending to be together. This is just about taking care of the baby. Anak ko pa rin 'yan. More than what I could offer Zitti, I'd give anything for my child."

She nodded, trying to swallow the bitter pill of loving him. Of still loving him.

Mom, fight for him! You just can't let him bully you!

Hush, Isaw. This is just between me and your dad.

"O-okay lang naman ako, Kief, e," she replied, with an overly bright smile, "I know it's almost impossible for us... After having been stupid enough to jump to conclusions. Sorry, pinairal ko ang emosyon ko..."

"I don't trust you, Alyssa," he said in a straightforward fashion, "And I have erased all the illusion of us together. Nagkalamat na. I can't make myself trust you, and love you."

Oh, come on, Dad! You've got to be kidding!

"It's - it's understandable, Kief," she murmured, "gets ko." And she hurriedly ran to the kitchen. She went to make her milk while tears stream down her face.

It's hard to be in love with someone who has decided not to love you back.

She sniffed, and wiped her tears with the palm of her hands, and tried to drink her milk. She silently cried the brokenness her heart went through tonight, hoping tomorrow she will be okay.

Don't give up, Mom! Don't give up on me and Dad!

She sighed. Anak, there are things-

Mom! Don't give up, okay? I'm still here, and I need my Dad, and I want him in my life, and I want you to remember that.

She tried to swallow the choke that almost escaped her.

I'm not giving up, Isaw... But we'll take it one day at a time.