Chapter 29

"What now?" she mumbled to herself as she saw him walk across the room. A common friend has invited her for a birthday party at her residence, and since she found herself suddenly free on that day, mystery of mysteries, she decided to tag along.

She took a big gulp of the glass of spiked juice and slowly, slid out of the room and out in the side garden.

With her hand on her glass, she took in a deep breath, letting the cool breeze fill her lungs. How many times has she found herself holding her breath even with the mere thought of him?

She took in another sip, and slowly walked along the edges of the pool. She dropped down to sit on its ledge, removed her sandals, and let her feet sink into the coldness of the water.

She shivered, and her mind drifted away.

She remembered how he would call her in the middle of the night just to invite her to eat. He'd drop by with homecooked meals, or he'd eat whatever she has on her fridge. His corny lame jokes make her laugh, and she hates how he'd annoy the hell out of her by doing what she exactly hates.

She missed how they'd make up after a fight, and she wished this fight would come to an end. But somehow, a part of her knows it will not be anytime soon.

She let her feet draw ripples in the water.

She could not understand why they had to fight, and the reason behind this. But she's hurt with the way he has shrugged her off, and how he is distancing himself from her, as if what they fought over is something worth all these troubles.

She sighed. But she's not ready to make the first move, too. And she does not understand it, but she seems to hate how she feels that much feelings into this. It is as if she knows this is all stupid, but she can't seem to make herself stop feeling this feelings...

She heard the glass door slide open, and she turned to see Thirdy step out. Stunned, both of them suddenly averted gazes, trying to hold their breaths.

Thirdy thought the air inside the room was too much for him. Like too much celebration, and too much happiness that he does not seem to feel. So he decided to step out for a breather, only to find her outside, too.

Maybe he wished this, too.

He walked to the other end of the garden, but it is very small, very confined, but enough space between them. Too much space for him though, between them. He sighed.

"So," he cleared his throat, "you don't seem to enjoy the party?"

She just shrugged her slim shoulders.

He dropped his head. This silent war is on. He reached for his cellphone, and started to go over it, when he heard the ripples on the water and Bea slowly getting up.

"Bei..."

She didn't even look at him. She tried to dry her feet, as if he was not there. "Bea," he tried again.

She just kept on doing what she was doing. He sighed. She slipped her feet on her sandals. He tried again, "Bea-"

"Excuse me?" she glared at him, her eyes full of hurt and pain.

"I'm trying to make a conversation here," he said, and Bea just shook her head and was about to turn around, when Thirdy ran over to stop her. "Ano 'to?" Bea shrugged off his hand, "I didn't get the memo that we're all good and okay."

"We're not supposed to be bad and not okay," Thirdy tried to explain. Bea crossed her arms across her chest. "So what are we supposed to be?" she asked, and Thirdy just looked at her. "Forget it," she said, turning around, but Thirdy still stopped her. "Bei...," he called out her name.