Chapter 23

"Hi..."

Alyssa turned around, to see Bea timidly waving at her. She smiled widely, "Bea..."

It's nice to see familiar faces again. Faces that are welcoming. She's used to the curiosity that came with it, but she could feel the warmth in their gazes this time. "Buti you made it," she said, with arms opening for a hug.

Bea stepped forward for a big sisterly hug. "We missed you kaya," she gushed, and stepped back, "halata na talaga ang baby bump mo, Ate!"

Alyssa laughed, "Ganun talaga 'pag buntis!"

Thirdy watched Bea and Alyssa talk animatedly, and he just can't imagine Bea and Sarah talking in the same warm manner. Although he could imagine Kiefer and Sarah together, as he has seen them, but it wouldn't be this warm... this real. He is thankful that Sarah has been instrumental in bringing Alyssa to their family circle, but he is just not happy with the unnecessary baggage she brought with her.

He turned to see Raf by the corner, talking with another cousin. Just in time, Kuya Matt had to go back for another serving from the buffet table. He walked towards him, and Raf acknowledged him with a nod.

"Kumusta?" he greeted Raf, who just muttered, "Same old, same old."

His eyes panned the area, "Good thing you didn't bring Sarah with you."

"I'm not that stupid," he muttered, and Thirdy chuckled, "But stupid enough to fall in love with someone who can't love you back."

"Love is a beast," Raf murmured, chewing on a steak, his eyes far away, "it can never be tamed. Unless it wants you. Or is meant for you."

"Sometimes, you don't have to ask for it, or look for it, " Thirdy added, "But on other times, you have to hold on to it, fight for it."

"It's a bastardly thing," Raf responded, and reached for his glass of drink. "I guess mine will never be mine," he said, and Thirdy just shook his head.

"We all have our demons, looking for that love," he murmured, "and when you know it's the one, it's worth all the scars."

"I hope I'd survive that," Raf raised his glass, and Thirdy raised his for a toast. "We do what we do," Thirdy added.

Kiefer looked around, and saw his brother. "Nakita mo si Alyssa? Hey, bro!" he greeted Raf, "Nice to see you back again."

"I'm just here and there," Raf murmured, and Kiefer was in too high spirits he didn't notice that Raf was not particularly that enthusiastic. Kiefer looked around some more and finally found the only person who can make him smile this much. "Talk to you later, Cuz," he hurriedly said, walking towards Alyssa.

Both Thirdy and Raf looked at his retreating back, and Thirdy shook his head. "Just imagine, he has almost married your Sarah," he thought out loud, and Raf just took a sip of his drink. "Thank God for Alyssa then," Raf retorted, and Thirdy looked at him.

"Does it bother you, about their past, that is?" Thirdy trudged on, and Raf just shrugged his shoulders. "Wala namang kami, pero it does make me look away," he muttered.

Thidty sighed, "I never thought Manong would fall in love with Ate Alyssa. I mean, she's not his type physically, but when you see them together, you know there's this eerie feeling as if they have known each other so well. Parang there is no tension or whatsoever na ilangan. Parang ang gaan nila sa mata tingnan."

Raf just nodded, "Kiefer is one lucky bastard. Siya pa 'tong playboy sa atin, pero parang siya pa ang pinagpalang makahanap ng mauuwian niya."

And true enough, Kiefer was secretly fawning over Alyssa. He was just right beside her but he could not keep smiling, could not keep his hands to himself. As if he is drawn to her, like a moth to a bright light.