Chapter 22

He was not surprised to see his cousin come over his place. But he is surprised by the sudden glint of purpose in his eyes.

"Thirds," Raf called out to him, and put down the gun that he has been cleaning. Thirdy eyed him, and casually sat on the sofa chair. "You still buy those?" he asked, thinking that his cousin has gotten over his gun collection days.

Raf shook his head. "Hindi na," he replied, "but I still maintain them. Siguro 'pag may nakita na naman ako na vintage, pero wala na akong gana. I guess I'm just gonna have to sell these babies sooner or later."

Thirdy nodded, and braced his arms on his legs. "Are you coming over sa welcome party ni Ate Alyssa?"

Raf carefully returned the gun on it's case. "Not sure. Maybe," he shrugged, "I mean, what is this about this time?"

Thirdy looked outside the window. "Manong's way of claiming back his family," Thirdy explained, "he wanted to bring the family together to welcome Ate Alyssa back."

Raf pensively nodded, and muttered, "He must be serious then. I mean, for real."

Thirdy stretched his arms and leaned back on the chair, "He is."

Somehow, for the first time in his life, he felt some unnamed tension in the air. As if they both know they are dealing with dangerous cards. Raf cleared his throat, "So you came over just to invite me...?"

Thirdy sighed, and looked up the ceiling, "How long have you known Sarah?"

"What about Sarah?" Raf countered, and turned to get some glass of water. "Do you want to drink something?" Thirdy shook his head.

"Bakit mo naitanong si Sarah?" he asked. Thirdy closed his eyes, and massaged the bridge of his nose. Then he leaned forward, and carefully phrased his next words.

"Anong... Anong nangyari nung after natin pinasok ng kwarto si Sarah?" he asked gently.

Raf stopped whatever he was doing for a split second. "Yun ba yung time na nalasing siya?" Raf clarified, and moved back to where he was standing when Thirdy arrived.

"Yes," Thirdy replied, looking at his cousin. "Wala... Umalis din ako, di ba?" he tersely replied, and Thirdy sniffed. He stood up and moved towards the window. "Sarah claims may nangyari sa amin that night," he said, "But I know it didnt happen. I was with Bea the whole night."

Raf took a long gulp, and slowly, placed the glass back. "I wouldn't know," he replied, and Thirdy looked at him. "Of course, you wouldn't," Thirdy replied.

They both eyed each other like in a duel, both waiting for the next move. "Why are you hiding your relationship with Sarah?" Thirdy blurted out.

Raf laughed a bitter one. "Walang kami, if that is what you are asking," he retorted, "Never naging kami. All I ever was to her was a brother."

"You forgot something," Thirdy hid his hands in his back pockets. "You are also Zitti's father."

Raf stopped, the bitterness on his smile fading. He dropped his head, and averted his gaze.

"Why can't you just-"

"She is fucking in love with you!" Raf exclaimed. "Even if I want to explain to her that I could have been the father, she would not believe me. She thinks I'm just a brother to her... Someone who would save her from all her bullshit!"

Thirdy was still surprised even if he somehow had an inkling about it. "Did you even try to explain this to her?" he softly asked.

Raf threw his hands in the air, "I... I don't know where to start." He dropped on a chair and covered his face with his palms. "She doesn't want me... She only knows of loving you...," he whispered.