No funny business?

"Fletch,wait..." she muttered. He stopped putting the stuff away and turned to face her. Fletch sat down carefully beside her, slightly at an angle so he could see her face. Her gaze was fixed on the blanket beneath them. He sat patiently, not wanting to scare her off.
"I can't - I can't let you in. I can't let you in because you'll end up getting hurt. Everyone always does. I have the name Ice Queen for a reason Fletch. Someone told me a few days ago, that I was like a Scorpion because I hurt people. They said it's in my nature. So no, I'm not going to talk to you." She was on the verge of tears but held up her restraint. She was Jac Naylor, she didn't let people see her cry.

"Okay, I'm not going to push you but if you ever decide to talk to me you know where I am." He responded with a sad smile. Once again he got to his feet and offered her a hand. She gently placed her hand in his and let him pull her to her feet. She felt numb with emotion. Jac so wanted to talk to him but she was too scared. He's been through enough without adding me to the list, she thought. Fletch picked up the bag and they started the head back to the resort.

When they arrived back in the apartment they dumped the bag on the sofa and each went to check their phones. The pair looked up at each other at the same time from across the room.
"Frieda?" Jac asked.
"Yup. I'll ring her and tell her I'm ill and probably won't be in for the next few days." He grinned mischievously.
"Let me ring her first so I can let her know that I'm away." Jac had only realised it was Monday when she saw the long list of missed calls from Petrenko. Her sense of time had been completely thrown.
"Jac what the hell are you playing at? Where are you?" Frieda greeted her.
"Hi to you too Frieda. I've taken a week off to go away for a bit. I'll be back on Thursday. I should like to think you can keep the ward standing till then."
Petrenko scoffed at the other end of the line. "Thanks for the warning Ms Naylor. Have you heard from Fletch, he's not here either?"
"Fletch? No no, of course not. Why would he have contacted me?" Jac was beginning to get a little flustered. She was blatantly lying through her teeth.
"No reason, enjoy your holiday." Frieda had an audible smirk across her face as she hung up.

"I think she fell for it," Jac sighed with relief. "Your turn." This time it was her who grinned mischievously. Fletch explained how he was ill and probably wouldn't be in over the next couple of days and Frieda seemingly bought his lies as well. When he hung up, the pair burst out into fits of laughter at each other, earlier events forgotten for a while.

Later that night when they were laid in bed Fletch couldn't stop thinking out what she had said. He needed to find a way to show her that it would be worth taking the risk and let her know that he would always be there no matter what. Jac fell asleep shortly after getting into bed but that's when the nightmares started. She dreamed about the shooting but this time Fletch had died instead of Raf. Jac woke with a start and shot up. She breathed deeply trying to calm her pounding heart. It was only a nightmare, she tried to convince herself. She glanced behind her to find Fletch sound asleep and a sigh of relief escape her lips. She looked down to find his arms were wrapped around her waist again, just like the night before. This time however she didn't try to leap out of bed, she found it comforting. Probably more comforting than it should have been. She smiled at the warmth of his touch and tried to go back to sleep, still wrapped up in his embrace.

A few hours later, Fletch awoke to find his arms around Jac. Her hands lightly clutched at his forearms as if she wanted to stay as they were. He smiled and leant down to kiss her cheek, thinking she was still asleep. Jac tried to retain the shiver that threatened to take over her body. She waited a few minutes to pretend to wake up. The red haired woman rolled over to face Fletch. He was watching her carefully to see if she wanted him to move.

"No funny business eh?" Jac said with a smirk.
"I can move if you want me to?" Fletch returned with an equally mischievous smirk.
"No, I don't think that would be necessary Mr Fletcher."