fourteen.

Read author's note at the end of the chapter please. Thanks (:

✿ ✿ ✿

|| Liv's POV ||

I hadn't realized that I had fallen asleep on the stained couch until I felt a hand gently push my shoulder, startling me awake. I sprung up into a sitting position, all my senses on alarm and my muscles tense. I had always had this reaction whenever something unexpected or anything, really, happened to or around me. It began back in high school when Jason was... toying with me. Whenever I was at my locker, I was always checking behind my shoulder to see if Jason was ever there. Actually now that I think about it, I think I've always been this way even though I knew Jason was nowhere near. I was always on my guard, always had my walls up and I still am but honestly, now that Harry has entered my life I think I'm somewhat healing. At least I hope I am.

The person who had woken me up had crouched down next to the couch and was holding one of my hands while slowly rubbing my lower back in comfort. I didn't know who it was considering I was staring straight ahead, too afraid to know who it is.

"Hey, hey... it's okay, it's just me," Harry's deep voice cooed. I instantly relaxed and exhaled a breath I didn't know I was holding. I turned to face him and I couldn't quite decipher what emotion was painted across his face. His eyebrows were brought together but his eyes were wide, the green in them shining brightly. His mouth was slightly agape and he was still gripping onto my hand while his other was rubbing small circles along my back.

Once my heart has gone back to its original pace I looked down at my lap, clearly embarrassed. I didn't want Harry to see me in this kind of vulnerable state. It showed me as weak and he's probably going to make fun of me and laugh in my face any second now. But when the teasing never comes I look back up to him and he still had the same expression on. But now I could only make out concern, worry, and a little bit of pity within his eyes. Ugh, I don't want pity and/or do I need it. It makes me feel vulnerable and I hate the feeling.

"Sorry," I mumbled. "I didn't mean to, you know... jump like that. Uh, sorry." I hastily looked back down, my cheeks burning. Harry leaned down to get a better look of me and when I met his eyes I felt butterflies erupt into my stomach. They were so bright and full of concern for me it was breathtaking. I don't understand how this boy has stayed with me for this long... well actually, now that I think about it, we've only known each other for about a month I think. It doesn't even feel like a month. More like half a year, especially with everything going on right now.

When he didn't respond back I squeezed his hand in reassurance and gave a small smile. He squeezed back and grinned, showing off his goddamned dimples. "Okay."

By now my cheeks were probably as red as a tomato which only made me blush even harder. I hushed back an "okay."

We were staring at each other like idiots but obviously neither of us cared. I stared into his greens while he stared into my blues. We were also grinning like fools... fools in love.

Fools in love.

In love.

I felt my grin fade slightly at what I just realized. From cheesy movie experience, the couple always look at each other this way. Just staring hopelessly into each other's eyes that if they even dare look away everything will fall apart. They always ended up together, marrying and living happily ever after. I've always wanted a happy ever after but after the traumatizing experience with Jason, I thought I would have a grief-filled life from then on.

But now that Harry's in my life now, everything has changed. I felt a little tinge of happiness for once in three years. (A/N - I honestly cannot remember how old she was when her family disappeared. Ugh this is what I get for waiting so long to update. Okie sorry buh byeee.) My old high school friends had always thought I was depressed and now I'm starting to actually believe them. I was in denial then but now it's clear that I did have a slight depression problem. I didn't self-harm, if that's what you're wondering. No, I would never pull through with that. Harry brought back some of my lost hope and I'm truly thankful for that. He might not know it and he might not feel the same way but I'm starting to have some affection toward him and not in a friend-like kind of way. Which brings up my point:

I'm afraid.

I'm afraid of having affection toward another.

I'm afraid that I will mean nothing to someone; that they'll think I'm just a waste of space.

I'm afraid that if I fall, nobody will be there to catch me.

I'm afraid of love.

Whenever the subject of love begins, it never ends. It stays and mocks you; laughs at you right in the face. Love is nothing but an emotion. I've never loved anyone besides my family. And I bet nobody outside my family has ever loved me either.

The concept of love is like a bullet. You see, whenever a bullet is fired from a gun it usually results in an injury or death. If their aim is off, you get injured; you crush but it goes away easily. But if their aim is perfect, you're dead; you love and it kills you. Love can kill and it always will.

While snapping me out of my trance, I guess Harry noticed my smile fall because he stopped rubbing my back and grabbed my other hand and asked, "Are you alright?" I sighed and gave a firm nod.

"You sure? You can always talk to me, you know."

I nodded again. "I know. I'm okay, Harry. Really, I am." My voice was surprisingly confident and didn't crack. He gave me one last good look before standing up, making me stand as well. I glanced over at the old clock in the kitchen, which read ten minutes 'til midnight.

"Harry, why'd you wake me up at this time of night?" I asked while rubbing my eye.

"I'll explain when we get there." He simply said while dragging me outside the room and out into the parking lot. I noticed we were headed toward a forest across from the motel. Once we had entered, the forest was so thick that I can barely even hear the highway next to the motel. Instead of the engines of the cars I only heard the noises of insects, animals, the wind blowing on the leaves attached to bushes and trees, and Harry and I's steady breathing. Giant oak trees crowded the sky above us, blocking the moon's light from entering the forest. I was never really a fan of the dark so I scooted closer to Harry and I caught a smug smirk appear on his face. That cocky bastard.

A few moments later, Harry stopped. I looked around and slightly gasped. There were wooden shacks lined up in rows before us, probably around at least twenty. Men in uniforms marched around the grounds, seems like they were soldiers or guards. Since it was around midnight everybody was still asleep, except for the guards. I also noticed a few watch towers in the distance across from us.

When I looked back at Harry, he was taking it all in like he was refreshing a memory. Had he been here before? And what is here, exactly?

He noticed my questioning look because he grinned and took in a deep breath. "Liv, I welcome you to the Rebel's Base."

✿ ✿ ✿

Wow it's been so long since I've updated I am so ashamed of myself. I've been pretty busy with either softball or I'm just too lazy to update : P

So anyway, this next part is IMPORTANT:

I'm not sure if you knew already from the author's note after chapter 2 but I have decided to make "You & I" a short story, which means it will only have about 20 to 30 chapters total. At the beginning of publishing this book I thought I was gonna go all out and make like a trilogy but things are actually going pretty quickly in this story so I didn't expect to make this a short story.

Short story as in everything is going to be a somewhat faster pace than a regular story. You all are smart enough to understand what I'm talking about right? (;

So that's all I wanted to talk about and I hope you enjoyed this little filler. Yes, I know not a lot of action but it is kind of important.

Thanks again for reading and I hope you have a nice day c:

~ Eva May ~

< Readers Goal: 250 >