Chapter 5

“So obviously there’s been a large amount of hysteria going on with your rise to fame, do you think the attention from all the girls gets to you guys at all?” the interviewer asked when we finally got to the station, the boys had taken a few pictures with the fans when they got there and it was really great.

“No, no, mainly because our fan base consists of 40 year old men,” Ashton joked on air. “But no I don’t think so, I mean obviously it’s very new to us, but I wouldn’t say it gets to us, we appreciate all of our fans and they’ve gotten us to where we are now so it’s been absolutely tremendous.”

“Okay, let’s face it you guys weren’t always rockstars,” the interviewer started. “How did you guys get on with girls before your rise to fame?”

“I’d like to start off and say that I think I was born a rockstar,” Mikey joked.

“No, we were absolutely rubbish with girls,” Luke started. “The whole music scene was apparently just not cool for girls back where we’re from.”

“Yeah, I mean if you were a footballer or something you were like a rock god,” Calum added, as Des and I looked at each other in agreement, as even in Manchester football was a huge deal.

“SEE!” Michael shouted pointing to us from the other side of the glass. “Even our Des and Jae agree and they’re part of our tour family!”

I was let into the studio to take a couple of pictures during the interview only a couple of times, the rest of the time I was sat outside the studio listening in on the interview, it was actually kind of interesting how witty and well thought out their answers were during the interviews.

“Do you think they practice answering questions?” I whispered to Des. “They’re really good at it.”

“No I think that they’ve just done so many interviews nothing is really new to them by this point,” she said.

“So what is the band’s relationship status?” the interviewer asked.

“Um, I think as a band we are ready for marriage, mortgage, kids, all that jazz” Calum said. “Only as a band though, not as individuals.”

“Yeah I definitely agree with Calum,” Luke laughed. “As an individual I am single.”

“Single,” Calum said.

“Single,” said Ashton.

“And I am pringle,” Michael said. “It’s like single, but hungry.”

“Pringle? That’s brilliant,” the interviewer laughed. “I’m gonna have to start using that.”

“Do you guys ever date on tour? Or even fancy anyone?”

“Um, I think that we never really get a chance to date, or fancy,” Luke said, in a rather serious sense that was different from the rest of the interview. “Just because we’re never in the same place for too long.”

“Fancy as in just a crush? Not necessarily a relationship right?” Mikey asked as the interviewer nodded. “Oh well then Ashton definitely fancies our publicist, Des.”

The rest of the boys laughed at Michael’s bluntness as Des sat in her chair absolutely shocked at what he just said.

“Oh! You heard it here first folks!”  the interviewer laughed. “Well that shouldn’t be a problem with staying in the same place for long, she’s on tour with you! She’s actually just outside the studio right now.”

“Aha—uhh well, um, yeah she’s lovely and we just get along really well,” Ashton blushed with a wide grin.

“I can’t believe they just said that on national radio,” Des said completely horrified.