Chapter Seven: Irresistible Presence

"Temptation is an irresistible force at work upon a moving body

"Temptation is an irresistible force at work upon a moving body."---H.L Mencken

Eleni delicately lifts the small cup to her lips, but her dark blue eyes study him

She took him for being something a bit like she was, friendly and open by nature. Yet, he was revealing only a small fragment of a picture. The more disoriented he became, the more he revealed. Unnatural? There were rumours about this place and the supernatural strangeness that surrounded it. This man was not of her kind, though, and so what was so unnatural? He certainly didn't have that dog-smell that sent those with sensitive noses running.

"Ah, you are the voice of your people. It makes it sound like you are a revolutionary or a politician, then!" She laughs merrily but even the laugh carries a snort of disdain. Although charming enough, he seemed like neither. Eleni didn't have the highest opinion of either revolutionaries or politicians, so any other explanation suited her just fine. She'd take a criminal over a police officer any day. She sips the comforting liquid gently, sighing as the voice leaves her to her mundane chit-chat.

"Tis the way the world around, I am afraid. Everyone fancies themselves of some talent and irresistible presence. Most specialise in dramatics and scenes far off-stage." Eleni sets her cup down and though she shifts so Victor's hand moves to a more appropriate place, her own rests on his knee. "I should most certainly appreciate the kindness, for at least meeting the right people is a step in the right direction".

Eleni bows her head softly to indicate a thank you, but her eyes have a coy and merry look within them. There were so many that were considered unnatural, herself included. It was difficult to determine on whose behalf he acted. Today, she had determined it would be hers. "It seems like you are a good person to know, always fighting to be heard and to get what you want." She allowed a tiny note of admiration to slip into her words. The man was feeding upon it in a way that made Eleni realise he was a lonely creature. Her hand strokes his leg gently, an almost-desire moved by pity.

Eleni. Come on, you're not going to fall for that. He's playing you, so don't start having emotions now. Eleni's tiny frame shivers as the voice returns. She refuses to communicate with it, even though it reaffirms her conclusions. Someone who isn't Victor is in her head, and she isn't sure how they got there. I don't know who you are, she thinks. Until you tell me, I am ignoring you.