Chapter 35: Epilogue

"I am good, but not an angel

"I am good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil. I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love."--- Marilyn Monroe

As is always the case with all moments of spectacular pleasure, the euphoria fades into reality, and reality becomes impossible to believe

Zia doesn't know pain, but she is aware of the world slowing down to a crawl. Reality is something that's disjointed, because the ground beneath her doesn't exist and neither does the sky. People can't levitate, but her body feels as if it's floating. The sounds of her heartbeat and the passion-fueled gurgles of pleasure aren't there anymore, but nothing hurts and there is no sadness.

She looks around, afraid to move a muscle, and not knowing where she is. Her first thought is that Brian was right, and there's a place called Heaven that feels weightless and smells a bit like baby powder.

A pink-clad figure stands in front of Zia. She looks unfamiliar and yet, Zia would know her anywhere. The girl is the lovely and delicate kind, dressed in a modest pink gown that reminds her of the kind of demure young lady she'd have wanted her son to take to the prom. Long blonde hair and striking emerald eyes call attention to the curves of her body, a girl whom nature had fooled the world into calling a woman a bit too soon.

"Ava..." Zia trails off, not sure what to say. "You look so different. You're beautiful, but different. When Eleni said an angel might come for me, I didn't think it would be you."

"I'm not an angel, Miss Zia. I never was, not anything close. The funny thing about Death is that people remember you as perfect. If you die, you're an angel. If you live, you're a sinner." Ava stretches out her hand. "Come. It's time for us to go now, please".

Zia looks at Ava, half in shock. "This is a trick, isn't it? I see you because I'm dying, but I don't see the real you. I can't remember things the right way. I only met you once or twice but you were very different, Ava. You made me feel---well, I felt very threatened. I wouldn't feel that way about a pretty young girl, younger than my son is."

Ava shakes her head. "It is not a trick and this is really me. It's been a long time, Miss Zia. I don't get any older here. You've had many birthdays since the last time you saw me. I'm still Ava."