Chapter 24: Ricocheting Secrets

"I feel bare. I didn't realize I wore my secrets as armour until they were gone and now everyone sees me as I really am."--- Veronica Roth, "Insurgent"

"--- Veronica Roth, "Insurgent"

18 septembre 1803
Roma, Italie

Dearest Journal-Friend,

Two weeks have passed since I last wrote about the joys of marriage, and although others warned me this might not be the case, I am happy. However, it is the time when we are being summoned back to Court. My husband is meant to work, and I--well, I suppose I am to resume the part of the proper and pious Frenchwoman meant to be advantageous to the Pope and his followers.

It is not just the aristocrats of France ruined by le Diable and his followers and now the falsely imperious Bonaparte. He fancies himself a soldier, a leader, a royal. The reality is that he is not any of those things, and were times different and power in rightful hands, he should be executed as a treasonous rebel and pretender not just to a throne but a country. Instead, he is the loudest voice amongst those who believe they can rule yet demean themselves by fighting over scraps of a dismantled legacy, like dogs in the street. Those who behave as such shall ultimately be seen as such.

Of all people, it is my husband who encourages me to learn of diplomacy and politics. Even my father, who loved me dearly, claimed such pursuits were not those of women and certainly not me. I did not have the mind for such serious study and I can't imagine that changed. Maman fought so I should be better educated than most ladies of my position in the world, and she did succeed. Still, I can lay no great claim to a brilliant mind or fancy myself a political strategist.

It is my husband, in a world where men are meant to discourage women still from becoming too learned or too much of anything at all, who says I do myself a disservice in thinking I am not bright. He tells me there are many different types of intelligence and I have gifts that cannot be taught, but flourish in the world of politics. This is a compliment, indeed, for I remember our beloved la Reine often sitting in the midst of such a world, nodding, and signing things she did not understand. Yet, she is not solely to blame for that, as her advisors purposely complicated things so no average person might follow along. The fact that Antonio sees in me the ability to learn and persuade as some of the highest minds in the land have had to do keeps me focused. I have never had anyone other than Maman believe in me so.

I know there are other motives aside from my self-esteem that keep him pushing me forward as he does. There are many whispers that if an alliance can be formed between those loyal to the Pope and the devoted Royalists and their descendants, all in exile, we can take back the rightful throne of France in the name of the Capets. Of course, it is Madame Royale and her husband who desire this most of all. None of us wish exile to be forever, and each day France is without a monarchy by right of blood and divine rule, the Church and the citisens of Rome diminish in power. This can only stand for so long.