Chapter Fourteen: The Winds Of Change

"I love her for what she has dared to be, for her hardness, her cruelty, her egoism, her perverseness, her demoniac destructiveness. She would crush me to ashes without hesitation. She is a personality created to the limit. I worship her courage to hurt, and I am willing to be sacrificed to it. She will add the sum of me to her"--- Anais Nin, Henry And June

 She will add the sum of me to her"--- Anais Nin, Henry And June

14 février 1803
Roma, Italie

Dearest Journal-Friend,

As time goes on, I am learning more and more. I know it is only a matter of months before I can no longer put off taking a new husband. As it is in so many things, even here in Roma, politics trumps religion and the old-fashioned ways of widows and orphans dressing in black and keeping quiet company until a year has passed is outdated. Now, after six months, it is seen as a duty to one's God and country to remarry after six months of mourning have passed.

I worried I should not be considered desirable anymore, especially in this place. It is not only on account of what I now am but who I was, and ever shall be. The explanation of who I am and why I have come to Roma entreating exile is simple. All know of what has happened in France, and when I spoke of being presumed dead with my brother, the response was not what I imagined it to be. A kind old Cardinale advised me perhaps it was better not to correct that assumption, at least for now. It would remain a secret among those of the highest rank and importance here. It is something that increases esteem in their eyes in this city. As it turns out, a French Roman Catholic woman with money, a title, and no family is potentially of great use indeed. Lucretia is already working very hard to introduce me to suitable matches when the time comes, and now the Cardinale watching over me has such concerns for me as well. 

With the Royal Family in exile throughout Europe, not many were attracted to the austere and pious world of Roma, which many just pronounce as "Rome". It is a strange world. I was attracted specifically for this, for the fact I should not be known here. I need no questions about Firenze and why I fled, and the death of Michel was nothing of note. The stories say I died as well, although no body was found. We are simply more of the enemy to rid themselves up. Inwardly, I refuse to relinquish my titles, to call myself Citoyen Eleonore Vigneron, or simply Madame Eleni. 

I shall protect my birthright, as so many in exile believe they are honour-bound to protect their own. In the meanwhile, a man called Bonaparte wreaks havoc upon France and now has turned an eye to other countries. With the monarchy and supporters of France's aristocracy all dead or exiled or having renounced themselves, Napoleon Bonaparte is turning his attention toward other places. The Pope and the religious order and ties to nobility in Italie have caused much attention, and it is a battle that is being lost. Those here hate this man Napoleon Bonaparte, more tyrant than any king ever has been, and look to build alliances with the survivors of the Courts of our dearly departed Roi Louis, and his grandfather before him.