Chapter 27: Strange Little Girls

"All living things contain a measure of madness that moves them in strange, sometimes inexplicable ways

"All living things contain a measure of madness that moves them in strange, sometimes inexplicable ways."---Yann Martel, The Life Of Pi

November 20th, 2015Aubrey Parish, Louisiana

November 20th, 2015
Aubrey Parish, Louisiana

Though he doesn't know it, Scott Feila's saving grace is the fact that Colton is in such an enraged mood that when the elevator takes him to the correct floor, he runs right into Azzie. Colton is not an overly large man, but Azzie is unusually petite for a grown woman and she is always in motion. He secretly thinks of Azzie as a vaguely creepy Tinkerbelle.

She doesn't seem to be physically hurt, just stunned by the unexpected force of the collision. Azzie has the strangest expression on her face that Colton has ever seen.

The tears in Azzie's eyes are what makes the Sheriff calm down and cool off, forgetting all about Victor and Scott for a moment. "Azzie! I'm sorry. I was going too fast and I didn't expect anyone to be standing there."

The Sheriff couldn't have guessed Azzie lurking around the corner of Sophia's desk when he stepped out into the hallway, but he stills feels sorry about it. Even though Azzie is far from a child, it's easy for him to feel protective of the small and bubbly woman.

Colton examines her, and leans down a little to look into her eyes. "Azzie, are you okay? Can I get you a soda or a chair to sit down? I'm really sorry.  I shouldn't have been going so fast. My mind was---other places."

Azzie's face stares blankly, as if the small girl isn't sure what happened. "It's okay. I guess I would like a Coke, that would be very nice of you." She nods, her dark eyes unusually wide. Colton wonders if he is strong enough to give Azzie a concussion. Instead, she leans in, and whispers, "You were talking to the spirits. They heard you. Don't worry, I'll keep your secret safe."

Colton almost stumbles as he straightens up, an arm around her shoulder. His perplexed face studies her, and he laughs. "Azzie, I think I hit you a little too hard. Come on. Sit here with Sophia and I'll find you a soda."

Azzie's face shines toward Colton, as if she is seeing something different than usual. She skips a bit as he walks her behind the reception desk. "I was going to go check on the girls and the new soul that will be moving in. Oh, and I also have to check on the man on the floor."