Chapter Eighteen: Arrivals And Departures

November 16th, 2015Aubrey Parish, Louisiana

November 16th, 2015
Aubrey Parish, Louisiana

Brian Thibideaux stands on the front porch of his home, staring out into the darkness. Only the shadow of the moon and the street lamps give a sense that the Parish is, in fact, alive. Inside, Zia sleeps soundly, the rest of one who has accepted and let go of most of the burdens of life. Like many facing death, Zia had developed a calmness and serenity about her that she couldn't find in her many years of life prior to her diagnosis. It had nothing to do with faith or religion, much to Brian's disappointment, but a quiet knowledge and appreciation. Life is beautiful and finite, she had said one day. My only regret is the chance I didn't take.

She was not the sort of woman who would face death atoning for her mistakes and asking for God's forgiveness. Instead, she would give thanks for all the moments of beauty she'd been given.

Mothers know their sons. Zia could tell Brian was struggling with something, though she did not pry.She simply watched in her warm, reassuring way. He wished he could tell her to stop worrying about him, but he knew she never would. As much as Brian could tell his mother wanted him to open up to her, he had things he wanted to ask her too. He wanted to hear more about his father. He couldn't ask if she thought about seeing him again after she passed on, and what she would say to him.

Zia was a good-hearted, vivacious, and compassionate woman who'd had one great love in her life aside from her son. It was the sort of fairy tale most women seemed to want, or at least cried at when they saw it portrayed in movies. 

The great love of Zia's life simply wasn't her husband.

Gunner Thibideaux had been a loyal and kind father, the sort who deserved to be the great love of someone's life. He left his wife and son far too early. Brian had only been thirteen when his dad dropped down onto the stoop, one hand clutching his heart while the other held a paintbrush with bright blue that had been used to brighten up the exterior of the old house.

Brian couldn't remember when he'd figured it out, what hidden glances and a casual arm around his mother's shoulder really meant. He was angry and hated his mother, although he never said a word. Instead, he found comfort in the words of a greater power, one that judged adulterers and declared fornication a sin. A woman's duty was to love and honour her husband, and Zia hadn't done that. 

At the age of thirteen, Brian knew his mother had sinned terribly. Yet, he had also sinned in judging her and hating her with unspoken fury. No sin went unpunished, so God had taken Brian's father away. 

That was when he decided he would devote his life to something greater than worldly concerns, to make up for all the mistakes the Thibideaux family had made. While other boys were chasing girls and shoving each other on a football field or playing video games, Brian memorized Bible verses and volunteered to help the sick and the poor. He was a straight-A student, class valedictorian, and a handsome boy who was off to the big city to attend seminary. Brian hoped his father would be proud and would forgive him for what he'd done.