X: We Walk Separate Paths

Legolas' POV

When I wake up, Yara is gone from my arms, leaving a warm spot on the bed where she was. I sit up, then look around, and see her, standing by the open window.

"Good morning, love," I greet, getting out of bed. She doesn't turn, so I wrap my arms around her waist. She flinches, then looks over her shoulder at me.

"Legolas, I didn't see you get up," she tells me. I chuckle,"were you thinking about something?" She nods,"I was. . ." Her voice trails off, as she looks out the open window again.

"What's wrong?" I ask her. She shakes her head,"nothing, nothing. . ." I unhook my arms from her waist, and turn her around to make her face me.

"Yara, tell me what's wrong," I plead. Her bottom lip quivers, and she looks down.

"I-I cannot tell you," she says. "I am forbidden from telling anyone."

"You can tell me, love," I tell her, tilting her chin up to face me. She nods, taking in deep breaths,"I swore to protect Frodo, but. . . My path. It is different. I will not go with you and the Fellowship towards Mordor." She squeezes her eyes shut, her face sad.

"You won't?" I ask, surprised. She nods, reopening her eyes,"no. I go North, to Fornost."

"Fornost?" I ask, surprised. She nods, sighing,"yes." I press my forehead against hers,"be careful while you are there."

"I will," she promises, before placing her lips gently against mine. "We must come back to each other." I glance out the window, seeing the predawn light.

"I must ready if we are to leave on this day," I murmur, pulling my forehead away from Yara's. She grips at my hand, and as I walk away from her, to prepare for the journey South, our fingers still clutch at each other, not wanting to let go.

Yara's POV

I race across a parapet, trying to keep up, and see the Fellowship off. Up ahead, I can see the tail end of the group, so it urges me to run faster. I finally make it, and watch them each pass under the arch I stand on. As he passes under, I see Legolas gaze up, my brown eyes meeting his blue ones. He nods towards me, mouthing something. I do not know what, but I know it is important.

"I love you," I say, but I doubt he can hear it. He is too far away. I watch him as he walks off, and rejoins the fellowship. I bow my head, before I start crying. I was reunited with my love, and now, once again, we are torn apart.

"M'lady, we must hurry, we are supposed to meet Eradan and Farin in Fornost by the morrow," Altáriël says from behind me. I turn to face her, wiping my tears,"yes. Let us go."

Racing across the treeless plains near Rivendell, we are close to reaching Fornost

Racing across the treeless plains near Rivendell, we are close to reaching Fornost. Fornost is not the only place we will be fighting Orcs, but I had to lie to Legolas. I had to, or he would not have let me go. After we defeat the hordes in Fornost, we will go Northeast, to Gundabad, to claim the fortress there, and get into the realm of Angmar. I could not tell Legolas, because his mother died as a result of a battle at Gundabad. Him knowing I am to be there would most likely have him stop me.

"Eradan, Farin, glad to see you are well," I greet, dismounting Hera.

"As for you, m'lady," Eradan smiles. He takes my hand, helping me dismount. I nod in his direction, before turning towards rows of tents.

"I'll show you to your tent," Eradan tells me. "If you will follow me." I nod, letting the man lead me towards my tent. I think of Legolas, who is probably making camp somewhere in the wilderness right now, and it hurts my heart.

Always together, never apart, maybe in distance, but never at heart.