XIV: The World Falls to Pieces

Yara's POV

I stand with my head bowed, ready for battle. I feel kicks at my stomach, making me take in a deep breath. Please forgive me, little one. I am stupidly risking your life. I turn on my heel, so I can go back to camp and leave. This was a stupid mistake. I should not be here. As I run, I can hear an Orc horn go sound. The realization hits me.

I am too late.

"Yara, where are you going!?" Altáriël asks, running after me.

"I am leaving, Altáriël!" I tell her.

"Behind you!" she yells. I quickly turn, drawing my sword and lopping off the head of an Orc.

"Get back to Rivendell! Take my horse, she is faster than yours!" Altáriël orders me. "I'll hold them off!"

"I'm not leaving you to die!" I tell her, killing another Orc.

"Yara, don't stay for me! Leave! Save yourself and your unborn child!" she yells. I start to run again, leaving my sword drawn, so I can defend myself if it needs to be that way.

I am nearly to the camp, I can see it through the break in the trees, when a large Orc steps in front of me. He growls, his sword raising in a challenge. I note how it is covered in a black substance, and I know:

I have to stay away from that sword.

The Orc charges at me, and I dodge, swinging my sword as I do. His sword meets mine, making a horrid clanging sound in the air. A roar comes from the beast, and he charges me again, sword aimed at my side. I dodge again, and trip on a root, stumbling forward. I drop my sword, and wrap my arms around my stomach, to guard it from my fall. My back is now turned to the Orc, and I try to stand up, so I can take care of him, when there's a sharp pain between my shoulder blades. I cry out, collapsing to the ground. I try to twist around, but it is impossible to. I am done for.

"Altáriël," I whisper. "I should have left sooner. . ." I close my eyes, ready for the death blow to come, ready to die.

But it never does.

Instead, I can hear the sound of sword meeting flesh and then a thud.

"Yara, are you alright?"

It is Eradan.

"Help me up," I tell him. "Please." Eradan helps me stand, and as I do, I feel a sharp stabbing pain in my shoulders.

"Your wound. It is poisoned," Eradan says. "We have to get you back to Rivendell. Our medicines won't work." He glances at my stomach, before back at me,"and we must hurry if we want to save the child."

Third Person POV

"Eradan, give her to me," Altáriël orders the Man. "I'm lighter than you, I can travel faster with her." Eradan nods, and watches Altáriël climb onto her horse. The Man hands her Yara, then drapes his cloak onto her.

"Will you tell me if she is alright?" he pleads.

"Yes, I will," Altáriël promises. She pats her horse's neck,"Vanya, we must hurry." She spurs her forward, and flinches when Yara gives a small moan of pain.

"I'm hurrying," Altáriël mutters. "I'm hurrying."

Lura watches a white horse race into Rivendell, and runs to the stables to meet it

Lura watches a white horse race into Rivendell, and runs to the stables to meet it. The Elvish Kingdom is all but abandoned, save for herself, Lindir, Andriel, and Tayos.

"Altáriël, what happened!?" Lura asks, upon seeing the Elleth.

"We do not have much time. Yara is gravely injured," Altáriël tells her. Lura is handed Yara, and Altáriël dismounts.

"Where is Lord Elrond?" she asks.

"Away. He will not be back for some time," Lura tells her. Altáriël curses,"then Yara is all but lost. The poison will travel through her system at lightning rate."

"Not lost," Lura sighs. "I can stall the poison, at least until Elrond returns."

"Very well. Let us get her on a bed, so she can rest," Altáriël says.

"She is pregnant with my brother's child?" Lura asks, surprised

"She is pregnant with my brother's child?" Lura asks, surprised. Altáriël nods,"yes, she is." Lura bites her lip, looking towards Yara's sleeping form.

"How far along is she? Do you know?" Lura presses. Altáriël thinks for a second, silently counting the months,"nine and a half months, I would say."

"Then she is near giving birth," Lura sighs. She bows her head,"let us hope that Legolas and Elrond will return soon."