XIII: Decisions

Yara's POV

Nine months. My stomach is growing, and becoming harder to hide, especially since I am over half way through my pregnancy. I often talk to my child at night, making promises that I know I cannot keep.

"I want to give you better," I whisper, rubbing my stomach. "I wish I could give you better." I start to cry, wanting to go home, wanting to protect this small being inside me. I feel a kick, something that had become so common, but it still amazes me that Legolas and I have created life.

"I'm sorry," I sob. "I'm so so sorry." I hug my knees, and eventually cry myself to sleep.

"After our next battle, I will be leaving," I tell Eradan and Farin

"After our next battle, I will be leaving," I tell Eradan and Farin. They both look at me with wide eyes. Eradan is the first to raise his voice:

"Yara, you can't leave!"

"Eradan, I have made my decision. There are more pressing matters for me to attend," I sigh. His face turns into one of anger,"what could be more pressing than reclaiming the Fornost from the hands of the enemy!?"

"Something you would not understand!" I counter. His glare does not waver, as he shakes his head,"Yara, please! You must help reclaim the city that once belonged to your people!" I shake my head,"no, Eradan. I'm sorry. My decision is made." I turn to walk away, but I feel a hand grab mine, and turn me around to face the owner. Eradan holds my shoulders in place, looking at me. I try to squirm out of his grip, but I cannot. He has a good hold on me.

"Yara, please. . ." he begs. "Please." I shake my head,"no. I can't." He looks down, before back up at me. There is a sad look on his face, making me feel bad.

No, don't. You have to protect your child I tell myself. It is not just you, anymore. I am lost in my thoughts, and by time I realize what is going on, it is too late.

Eradan's lips meet mine, making me gasp, and pull away.

"What was that?" I ask.

"That was goodbye," he spits, before releasing me and walking away.

"Everything is ready," Altáriël tells me. I nod,"good. We can leave after the battle, then." It is the eve of the battle for the East Wall, and, I will admit, I am terrified. To go into battle this far along in my pregnancy. It could be disastrous for the baby and myself.

"Are you sure you wish to still help?" Altáriël asks. I nod,"I cannot leave on the eve of the battle."

"I know I cannot sway you from your decision," she sighs. "But with your condition, I would not suggest it."

"I appreciate your concern," I say, going over to her. She looks down, but then places a hand on my stomach.

"If anything goes sour during the Battle, call for my help. I will get you back to Rivendell. Your father would heal you."

Legolas' POV

"Yara, fight!" I say, taking her hand. "Fight." The black creeps through her veins, making her pale skin seem paper thin.

"My body. . . It is dying. I cannot fight," she whispers. Her brown eyes meet my blue ones, making my heart break. They are so full of hurt and pain.

"Legolas. Take care of her. Don't become your father."

A last release of breath, the limpness of her hand, and I know.

She is dead.

I wake up with a start. No. It was not real. It could not have been.

"No. She is fine," I whisper to myself. "She is fine." My hand trails up, and grasps at the necklace she gave me.

"Be safe, Yara," I beg. "Be safe." The only answer I get, though, is the wind.

I See Fire is drawing to a close. I would say at most 3 or 4 chapters, but it will most likely be 1 or 2. I don't know, to be honest.