1. Hogwarts

Melanie

   I remember the day I turned eleven and one of the presents I got was a letter from one of the best Wizarding schools in the world, Hogwarts. My dad read it first and showed it to my mom. They had a long conversation until they decided to talk to me about it. They told me I was special and that it was going to be a big opportunity for me to learn about real magic. When I asked them if they went to this school when they were younger they said that they were Muggles, which meant that they didn't have any magical abilities. However, they said that they knew from the beginning that I was destined to be a witch, so they were waiting for this moment since I was born.

The little information my parents knew about Hogwarts was because one of their friends went to that school a long time ago. I remember going to Diagon Alley to buy my school supplies, an owl, and a wand, and a couple days later they took me to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters at King Cross to ride the Hogwarts Express.

Flashback

When I arrived at Hogwarts I was amazed by the beauty of the castle and the way things worked. I knew that this was a school for young wizards and witches who were here to learn spells and potions and many other things related to magic, but I didn't know what to expect. When we got to the Great Hall we were told that it was time to get sorted into one of the four houses, which were Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. According to my parents, Gryffindor values courage, bravery, nerve and chivalry. Hufflepuff values hard work, patience, justice, and loyalty. Ravenclaw values intelligence, creativity, learning, and wit. And Slytherin values ambition, cunning, leadership, and resourcefulness. I was nervous when they started calling names to wear the hat and get sorted.

"Melanie Collingwood" said Minerva McGonagall, holding the Sorting Hat over a stool. I walked slowly, sat down, and closed my eyes until I felt the hat on my head.

"Well, this one's easy.. What do you think about Slytherin?" the Sorting Hat whispered and I shook my head.

"That's the only house that I wouldn't belong in. I'm not ambitious and I would make a terrible leader," I thought.

"Ok.. I shouldn't be doing this since you could be a great Slytherin according to my years of experience, but it also seems like you have a bright and unique mind that's very powerful.. RAVENCLAW!" the hat yelled and I walked over to the Ravenclaw table where everyone was clapping.

I was so relieved to be a Ravenclaw because learning is something I enjoyed a lot, as well as reading and writing. I looked at the other kids being sorted into the different houses until I heard the name Harry Potter  and there was silence except for the people whispering to each other.

"GRYFFINDOR!" the Sorting Hat yelled after a while.

"I knew he was a Gryffindor!" said the girl next to me.

"Do you know him?" I asked her curious and she looked at me and frowned.

"Of course, he's a legend. Harry Potter?" she said.

"What did he do to become a legend?" I asked.

"He defeated the Dark Lord when he was just a baby!" the girl in front of me said.

"You come from a Muggle family, don't you?" asked the girl beside me and I nodded. "Don't worry, you are not the only one. My dad is a wizard and my mom a Muggle," she smiled. "By the way, my name is Amber Mitchell," she said and smiled.

"I am Melanie Collingwood. Is this you first year too?" I asked her.

"Yes! I'm so excited to be here," said Amber.

"What about you?" I asked the girl sitting in front of me.

"Oh, this is my second year. However, I can help you with your homework if you want. I still have the notes from last year," she said and smiled at us.

"Sounds great!" said Amber, smiling. "What's your name?"

"Jessica Wright," she said.

And from that moment, Amber and Jessica have been my two best friends.

End of flashback.

Well, today I start my third year at Hogwarts and so far everything has been great. I haven't had the opportunity to speak with Harry Potter in the last two years, but I've heard many stories about him and I would like to talk to him about it and ask him if the rumors are true. I want to know more about the Dark Lord and his story. I feel like I have to know even though it's not relevant anymore. I tried asking my parents and they said that the only thing the knew is that he killed many people and that I should be more careful when asking people about him.

The Wizarding World was a mystery to me and I wanted to learn everything about it.

Hello! Thank you for reading my new fanfiction, I really hope you like it! This story won't follow the exact plot of the Harry Potter books, but it will be similar. Melanie's first three years at Hogwarts won't be very important to the story so I decided to write them as a flashback. However, the story will go slower once we get to the fourth year. Again, thanks for reading and please let me know your thoughts in the comments.

*This story is based on Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling.