13. Champions

Draco looked at me for a long time without saying anything and I started to get nervous, but I didn't break eye contact.

"What kind of feelings?" he asked confused.

As we looked at each other, a great idea occurred to me. I was going to make him fall in love with Melanie and then break his heart. In the meantime, I would be friendly with him in potions and give him advice so that he would come to me for support when he realizes that Melanie doesn't like him. The only problem was that I would have to do these on my own without anyone knowing.

"I like you," I simply said and he laughed.

"Listen, I don't know what you want from me, but there are other ways. You don't have to pretend that you like me," he said and I shook my head.

"Draco, I'm not lying!" I yelled.

"I'm starting to realize something," he said thoughtfully. "You usually call me Malfoy instead of my actual name and you're also being nice to me, something that almost never happens. I'm starting to think you're not Melanie."

He was about to find out the truth and I couldn't let him. I closed my eyes for a moment thinking of something to do or say. I had to fix this before it was too late, and the only way was to act like Melanie would.

"You're right," I said opening my eyes and smiling at him. "You're smarter than I thought, Malfoy. My friends dared me to be nice to you and make you think that I had a crush on you just to see if you had a heart, but apparently you don't."

The way he looked at me was interesting. He frowned and looked angry, so I thought that I had ruined everything, but at least he didn't find out that I was Amber. However, a moment later he smiled.

"Great! You scared me for a moment," he said and I looked at him confused. "I won my friends' bet. They thought you were going to confess your feelings for me, which I thought was impossible, so you surprised me when you said that you liked me. I can't wait to tell them."

I was confused, but glad to know that he wasn't angry or anything like that. I had to be more careful with my words and make the right choices if I wanted this to work. I knew that if I tried hard enough, I would be able to make him fall in love with me, but it would take time and patience.

"Oh, good," I said smiling. "I guess we're not that different from each other."

"Everything you said about wanting to be my friend was a lie, wasn't it?" he asked crossing his arms.

"No," I replied quickly. "Amber is the only person who knows that I really want to be your friend. I had to lie to the others and they dared me to come here, so I took advantage of the moment to ask you to be friends. I know it sounds confusing because I was joking when I said that I liked you, but other than that, everything I said was true."

Ok, I wasn't good at lying and I was sure that what I was saying didn't make much sense, but I couldn't waste any more time explaining things to Draco because the Polyjuice Potion effect would disappear in less than ten minutes.

"Alright, Collingwood," he said. "I'll trust you this time. See you tomorrow."

And then he left. I was sure that I had accomplished something, and I was willing to keep going.

Melanie's P.O.V.

"I can't believe Malfoy thinks that I'm obsessed with him!" I told Jessica and Amber the moment we entered the Great Hall. The Goblet of Fire was in front of the staff table and it would announce the Triwizard champions that night.

"Did he really say that?" Jessica asked me with a frown and I nodded.

"He was joking, I'm sure," Amber said smiling.