7. Amber

Amber's P.O.V.

When I got to Snape's classroom I noticed that Draco was already there.

"Late again, Ms. Collingwood?" Snape asked me with a serious face.

"Sorry, professor," I said in a low voice and Draco looked at me.

I began to feel anxious. Two of the most intimidating people I knew were standing in front of me while I pretended to be someone else. However, I had to convince them that I was Melanie. I had to act like her.

"I have a meeting with the other professors," Snape said. "I expect you to clean the classroom and make sure everything is back to where it belongs, then you can leave."

Draco and I nodded and Snape left the classroom.

I started putting books away and then noticed that Draco was standing behind me without doing anything.

"Aren't you going to help?" I asked him and he just stood there with his arms crossed.

"It's your fault we're here," he said. "Now hurry up because I want to go to bed."

"Excuse me?" I asked incredulously.

"We're here because you can't keep your mouth shut," he said.

"You were the one talking to me in the middle of class," I said. "Trust me, Malfoy, I have better things to do," I tried to sound like Melanie.

"Better?" He asked laughing. "Like what? Studying?"

Draco and I stared at each other for what seemed like forever. It was the first time we talked and it wasn't going well. However, staring at his eyes made me realize the person he was on the inside. I knew he wasn't mean, he just pretended to be like that. Why? I had no idea.

"Why do you act like this?" I asked him. "I know you're not a bad person."

Draco narrowed his eyes and I realized my mistake. Melanie would've never said that to him.

"Since when do you care?" he asked me. "A few hours ago you literally stepped on my foot, and trust me when I say it was almost as painful as when Hagrid's chicken attacked me last year."

"Chicken?" I asked confused.

"The bloody Hippogriff," he said. "I heard he escaped before he was killed."

"Oh," I said and laughed nervously.

"By the way, there's something I've been wondering," he said.

"What is it?" I asked, looking away.

"Why do you like to hang out with losers?" he asked me.

Think, Amber. What would Melanie do in this situation?

"Draco, we're in detention," I said. "It wasn't my choice to come and hang out with you."

Ok, Amber. That was terrible.

"No, I'm serious," he said. "I understand if you hang out with those nerds from Ravenclaw, but I don't get why the filthy mudblood in Hufflepuff is your friend," he said and I was about to complain but he spoke again. "But the worst part is that you also hang out with Neville Longbottom. Congratulations! Now I see why you're not a Slytherin."

"Hey! Liam is not a mudblood and Neville is a great person," I said. "At least they are my friends and not my followers like Crabbe and Goyle," I told him and he rolled his eyes. "Since when do you care about the people I hang out with?"

"Oh, I don't care," he said. "I just feel like you should hang out with pureblood Slytherins, like our parents did."

"Draco," I said. "I'm not a Slytherin, remember?"

"Last year you told me that the Sorting Hat considered putting you in Slytherin."

Wait, Melanie never told me this. She told me that her parents were Slytherins, not that she was about to become one too.

"But it didn't," I said. "I'm a Ravenclaw and I'm proud of that."

Draco laughed and walked to the other side of the classroom.

"Why did your parents lie to you about them being Slytherins?" He asked after a moment of silence.

"You really are annoying," I said. "I can't believe I used to liked you.." I whispered without thinking but apparently he heard me.

"You liked me?" he asked raising his eyebrows as he walked back to my side of the room.

Ok, I was in trouble. I had to fix this.

"I liked you as a friend," I said. "But now you disgust me."

Yes, I said it. I was sure that's what Melanie thought of him.

"We were never friends," he said with his arms crossed.

"Let's just clean the classroom and then leave," I said, trying to ignore his last comment.

Draco sighed and we started putting things back were they belonged. We didn't talk or look at each other for about half an hour.

"Collingwood," he said all of a sudden. "My father told me a story about how he became friends with your parents. I'm sure you want to know."

"Can you just tell me later?" I asked, thinking about Melanie.

"Why?" He asked. "This is the perfect moment to tell you because we're the only ones here."

"Is it a secret how they became friends or what?" I asked and laughed, but he was serious.

"I won't tell you if you don't want to," he said. "I just thought that it was something you've been wanting to know for over a year."

Draco was right. Even though I wasn't Melanie, I still wanted to know how her parents became friends with the Malfoys. I was curious.

"Ok," I said. "I'm listening."

Draco smiled and we sat down.

"It's a long story so don't interrupt me."
...