8. Lies

Melanie's P.O.V.

It was almost midnight and the common room was empty except for Jessica and I. We were waiting by the fireplace for Amber to come back from detention.

"Poor Amber. I wouldn't like to have detention with Snape," Jessica said after a while. "Would you mind if I go to bed now? I'm tired."

"Go ahead," I said. "I'll wait for her."

I was starting to get worried. What if someone found out about the Polyjuice Potion?

I was about to fall asleep when I heard footsteps and then Amber came into the common room.

"Amber!" I exclaimed. "Is everything ok?"

"Yes, everything's fine," she said with a smile. "Snape made us clean the whole classroom."

"And what happened?" I asked her. "Did anyone find out about the Polyjuice Potion?"

"No," she said. "I began to notice that the color of my hair was changing, so I just left."

"So that means that the potion lasted for about three hours?" I asked and she nodded. "Did you talk to Draco?"

"Well, we barely talked," she said and laughed nervously. "He didn't have anything important to say, you know?"

"Did he suspect anything?"

"No. The potion worked great. He really thought I was you," she said. "Can we talk later? I want to go to bed."

"Wait," I stopped her. "Is there anything I should know?"

"Not really," she said. "Goodnight Melanie."

Why was she acting like that? I had to find out what happened. However, I couldn't ask Draco because it just wouldn't make sense to him. I had to calm down, after all Amber was my best friend and she would've told me if there was anything important I had to know.

I went to sleep, and when I woke up the next morning I noticed that Amber wasn't in the room, so I assumed that she went down to breakfast. While I was getting dressed, Jessica woke up and looked around the room.

"Where's Amber?" she asked yawning.

"She's probably in the Great Hall," I said.

"Did she tell you what she did in detention?"

"She had to clean Snape's classroom," I said. "That's it."

Of course I couldn't tell her about the Polyjuice Potion. She was also my best friend, but I knew that what Amber and I did was wrong and I didn't want Jessica to know.

We put on our robes and grabbed our stuff for today's classes before heading to the Great Hall. When we got there, I looked around and found Amber talking to an older Slytherin girl.

"What is she doing?" Jessica whispered and I shrugged.

"Hello!" said someone behind us. We turned around and saw Neville Longottom.

"Neville!" Jessica exclaimed with a smile.

"I learned a new spell," he said. "Do you want me to show you?" he asked Jessica.

"Sure," she said. I left them alone and sat at the Ravenclaw table. I kept staring at Amber but she didn't seem to notice.

I grabbed a slice of bread with butter and a moment later Liam entered the Great Hall and walked towards me.