Chapter Seventeen

The scent of pine and blood wafted into Michael's nose as his large friend kept him close to his chest. He knew that pine smell. It was so familiar now. Everytime Heath would get close to him he was able to smell it. 

And it wasn't just the smell this time. This time he could hear the heartbeat rumbling in his ears. And when Heath spoke, he could feel the vibrations of his deep voice on his face. The powerless feeling again washed over him. With every breath the Masonin took, every word he spoke, every beat of his heart, it only made Michael feel smaller and smaller to the giant being.

But not even the smell or sounds could distract him from the pit in his stomach that came with the fact they were off to see Donnie. The man that absolutely hates the humans. "Heath?" Michael whispered through his fear, balling the dirty shirt in his hands.

Heath could hear the fear in the human's voice, his arms tightening securely around the small body in his arms. "It's okay Michael." He whispered, attempting to keep the guards near them from hearing him. He wanted to reassure him they'd be just fine. 

However, in his heart, he didn't know if they would be okay. Donnie was mad, and when it came to humans he knew the bitter hatred the boy held. 

Michael heard the uncertainty in the Masonin's voice and turned his head up just enough to see him. "Heath. I need to talk to you, I need you to know-"

"Well! Look who's arrived!" Another voice rang out, echoing through the vast hall. He couldn't see him, but he knew just who it was. 

"Donnie," Heath spoke his thoughts, and the strong arms already tight but gentle around his body squeezed to the point it almost hurt. "Never in all my life would I have thought you'd do this."

"Really? I thought you'd have figured it out sooner dad. The hours I was gone at a time, my hatred for the things like Michael here, I thought it was pretty obvious." Donnie had a huge, sick grin on his face. His hair slicked back, his green eyes glinting in the dim light.

"Because I wanted to believe you were better than this! I took you in, I raised you, and yet you've done this and betrayed Michael! Betrayed me! Donnie, what's wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me?! What's wrong with you?! Their kind murdered an innocent child! They did it in cold blood, and for what?! Experiments! So we simply return the favor and kill them, experiment on them! Dad, you don't get it!" Donnie's voice was loud, deep, and angry. His eyes narrowed fiercely, a dark look in them. 

"You're sick Donnie! A bunch of the humans didn't know anything, Michael doesn't know anything! It's been obvious! And now he's lost his own child to our kind and we don't know if she's alive or dead! And now I've even lost my own son, you're not the little boy I took in. You're not the boy I tried to raise right. It' not all of their fault, just those doctors, the ones that killed the poor baby girl." Heath could feel Michael trembling in his arms. He knew the yelling had to be scaring the hell out of the human. He didn't want to scare him, but he had to also get his point across to his son.

When Donnie began to approach, Heath tried to ready himself to fight back but the guard nearby kicked him in the back of the leg. Sinking to his knees, Heath did all he could and cling to Michael, burying his face in the human's sweaty hair. 

Despite how hard he tried to cling, with his wound he was still in no position to fight and Michael was easily ripped from his arms. "No!" 

Michael bit back a startled scream as he was torn from the safety of Heath's grip, staring with wide blue eyes at Donnie while the Masonin gripped his arm painfully. "L-Let me go! I don't know anything about the baby but what Heath told me, I-I swear!"

The grip on his arm tightened and Michael again bit back a scream, only of pain this time. His arm felt like it was going to break. God, this things were strong. 

"How am I supposed to believe you?! You could be lying to save your own neck!" Donnie's voice again echoes off of the walls and he throws Michael to the stone floor, standing over him.

Heath started to stand, ready to jump in and defend his friend but the guards held hi back. Without his full strength, he couldn't do anything but watch. "Michael!"

Michael coughed and groaned on the ground, rubbing where the large hand had just gripped his arm. The shadow looming over him was terrifying. And Heath couldn't save him. 

Donnie's foot slammed hard into his gut, making him wheeze and gasp in pain. Despite how much he curled into himself, the teen continued to beat him. Kick him. Hit him. Warm blood was spattering on the floor. He could feel it running down his face. Michael could see it beginning to cover his arms. 

Heath stared in horror, fighting the grip of the guard. "M-Michael! No!" He struggled as hard as he could, his bullet wound throbbing in pain. It felt like the stitches were popping. Heath knew he'd be bleeding again but god, he couldn't let Donnie beat him to death. 

With as much force as he could, he drove his foot into the leg of the guard holding him and broke free, turning and swiping the large shotgun he had been carrying. Heath had never been much of a fighter, but adrenaline was pumping, blood was rushing, heart racing. 

With a firm gaze, he raised the gun, aiming it directly at Donnie's head. Time seemed to slow. The other guards rushing forward appeared to be moving in slow motion. 

A sharp exhale passed Heath's lips, and he pulled the trigger.