Chapter Nineteen

When Michael came too, he didn't open his eyes. Every ounce of his body throbbed. He could hardly remember what happened. Had he been beaten that badly that his memory was almost screwed up? That was a horrifying thought. If he lost his memory, he wouldn't understand why some beings were bigger, why he was hurt, and he wouldn't remember who Heath was. 

Heath.

 Was the Masonin okay? He could remember being carried in his arms but the rest was a blur. 

Gentle hands, clearly large ones, were wrapping his arms in a soft material. His first thoughts were that it was Heath.

Micheal forced his eyes open, cringing at how bright the light around him seemed. His blue eyes slowly focused on the Masonin in front of him, only to widen in complete fear and panic when he saw it wasn't Heath. "Get away from me!" 

His pain was forgotten while the human struggled to escape this stranger when different arms held him in place. "No, let me go!"

"Michael," A familiar voice spoke up, and he slowly turned his had to look at the owner of the arms. "You're safe, it's okay."

"Heath." Michael ceased his futile attempts to get away, realizing he was safe. That's when the pain returned and he groaned.

Heath had been standing just off to the side when Michael woke up. The man, who he now knew was Lester, took care of his bullet wound before tending to his little friend. He made sure to keep a close eye on him, ensuring that he wouldn't hurt Michael.

When Michael's eyes opened, Heath was ready to spring to action. He knew just what would happen when the human saw the stranger. And he was right. Michael began to panic, and Heath stepped in, wrapping his large arms around the smaller form. He kept him pressed into his body, whispering gently to hopefully calm him.

Michael's blue eyes met his and the human relaxed, only to groan in agony and curl into himself. "My everything hurts." He forced out, his voice soft and pained.

"I'll bet, you took quite a beating. My name is Lester, I'm here to help you get to see the High Council." The strange violet eyed man said with a bright smile, his large fingers going back to tying the bandages around Michael's thin arm.

Heath could see how intently Michael was watching this new being. He could easily remember his hesitance to trust him, how terrified he was of him. Of Donnie. 

Heath lowered his eyes to the floor. He could also easily remember how he still trusted Donnie. How he wanted to believe that the boy would have been able to change his views on humans. And because of that, Michael was nearly beaten to death. The guilt in his heart swelled more. He looked back to the human.

Michael now was laying back on the couch, his breathing ragged, his face bruised, lip busted open, blood running down his face. It was a sickening sight to see. 

"Get me a damp rag, please Lester." Heath requested softly, taking a seat on the couch near Michael while keeping one hand on his still painful wound. But that pain couldn't be worse than what the human was feeling.

"I'm so sorry Michael. I had no idea." Heath spoke barely above a whisper, unsure if Michael could even forgive him. It was almost entirely his fault, he should have taken into consideration how strong Donnie's hate for his kind was.

He was surprised as soon as he sat down that Michael's small but strong arms wrapped around his waist to the best of their ability. He was confused. Surely the human held some grudge against him. 

"I-It's not your fault." Michael's weak voice uttered, tired blue eyes turning up in Heath's direction. The scent of pine and blood filled his nostrils. An almost familiar scent. The two of them really needed a change of clothes, but there was no way of getting to the horses now. 

Heath did his best to return the hug, not squeezing the smaller man too tight in fear of making his injuries worse.  "Humans are strange. You should be angry with me right now. He was my son."

"But he wasn't you H-Heath." Michael coughed into the bend of his arm, blood spattering on his skin. 

Now silent, Heath leaned back and watched as Lester returned with a wet cloth and handed it over to him.

Using this rag, Heath first wiped blood from the bend of Michael's arm then his face, again being absolutely gentle with the human to avoid irritating the bruises. He could feel a pair of eyes on him and when he looked up, Michael was simply staring at him. Not fearfully, not threateningly, but just staring. "Michael?" He spoke in a soft, questioning tone, moving his head to meet the human's gaze.

Micheal had zoned out, focusing on the big hands cleaning off his arms while he ignored the intense pain that screamed at him to lie down. Still, he focused on other things, including Heath's face. 

Albeit caked with dirt, his features were till downright attractive and hard to not notice. Firm jawline, slightly shaggy hair, gentle but still firm green colored eyes. He hadn't even really realized he was staring until Heath's voice pulled him from his thoughts.

"Huh?! Oh, uh...I-I'm fine, y-yeah. Thanks." Pulling his arm away from the large hand, Michael tuned onto his side and laid with his back facing the Masonin. His face flushed with embarrassment.

Now Heath was even more curious than before. "Michael? Is everything okay?"

Michael curled into himself, doing his best to tune out the eyes he could feel on his back. Despite his current pain, he didn't want to talk. He didn't want to say anything that could scare off the only person he has in this world where humans are no longer at the top of the food chain.

The silence that entered the room was strangely deafening. And since Michael didn't seem to want to talk, Heath instead turned to Lester as he stood back up from the couch. "Now. You and I are going to talk about why exactly you helped us, and why you still are."

Lester simply smiled and nodded his head in agreement. "Gladly."