Chapter Twenty-Four

Breakfast had seemed to go extremely slow, but Michael's stomach hasn't been this full since the Masonin's first showed up on Earth. He wasn't hungry and ready for this long walk. Though he was still weak, getting a good meal like that after so long of pretty much a piece of fruit a day would help greatly.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it." Lester smiled toothily and gathered up the empty plates and glasses. "Heath, you can go out and get a few horses ready for the trip, and make sure there is one for Michael to ride. If Michael would like to join you, he can. I'll pack a few bags." His voice was calm, serene. He wasn't being bossy but simply requesting Heath's assistance to prepare.

Heath agreed but only because Michael could join him. While Lester seemed like a decent character, he didn't really want to leave his friend alone with him just yet.

Heath did as he had done in the orchard almost a two weeks ago now and let Michael sit on his shoulders while he gingerly saddled and groomed the horses. His hands were large, but his cautious and slow movements kept the beasts calm.

"H-Hey, Heath? Donnie really is dead, right?" Michael suddenly questioned, his hands gripping the Masonin's hair despite how it has been unwashed for quite some time now. 

He had suddenly had a sinking feeling in his gut. Like they were being watched, stalked, and he didn't like it. Not one little bit.

The question caught Heath off guard, but he knew he couldn't lie to Michael about a threat this serious. "No. He was experimenting on humans and made himself immortal. That's why we're going to see the Council now. To get you a safe place to stay and to find out a way to take Donnie down for good." The words pained him to say, his heart aching something fierce. 

Michael felt his blood run cold and he swore his bruises started to hurt more at the mere thought of the younger Masonin. He visibly shuddered and wrapped his arms around his shoulders. "S-So he will still be after us," he stated softly, the fear he started feeling evident in the way he spoke.

"I can't say for sure." Heath murmured, reaching one arm up carefully to placing a comforting hand on Michael's arm. "But I promise you I won't let him touch you again."

Grateful for the gesture, he tried to think of something. He wanted to tell him, but, how? At the last second, Michael grabbed for the hand near him but it was too late. it had already pulled away and was back to strapping up the horses. His shoulders slumped but he didn't speak another word.

It didn't take long to get three horses ready and bags packed with food and supplies for the almost three-day walk. 

"It's times like these I really miss airplanes and cars," Michael muttered with a quiet huff, letting Heath help him get situated on one of the brown stags.

Heath only chuckled and playfully used a hand to ruffle Michael's hair. "Oh, don't pout. The more you complain the longer it'll take to get there."

The blue eyed human rolled his eyes, and when Heath's hands pulled away he found it extremely hard to stay upright on his own due to the pain spread throughout his torso. A quiet hiss escaped his lips, but he forced himself to stay up. He couldn't already force Heath to carry him when they hadn't even left yet.

Lester took the reign of the two other horses, allowing Heath to lead the one Michael sat on. Sure the human could probably do it on his own, but he was clearly in pain still, not seeming to want to show it. He wouldn't ever understand humans. He hardly knows anything about them.

However, he does know that those two like each other and he plans on playing matchmaker to make them realize their feelings for each other. If that involved some scheming, he'd gladly do it. He's always enjoyed meddling in others' affairs. He was a naturally nosy person.

Now he just needed to figure out how to get them close enough to somehow make their lips touch. he could always shove Heath or Michael. Hell, he could even just flat out shout 'You like each other!' and the whole thing could be over with. But he also wants to have fun with them, so it can't be that simple. 

Heath watched Michael as he walked right beside the horse. His smaller friend looked so tired, weak. He really wouldn't mind carrying him, it wasn't difficult at all. The human was surprisingly light and easy to carry. Though he didn't want to make him uncomfortable. much was different on Earth than it was back on his home planet.

He thought back to how flustered Michael had become when he walked in on him in the bath without knowing it wasn't normal on Earth. He could remember how red his face got, and how stubborn he was when Heath had tried to wash his back for him. It would have been perfectly fine back home because they were both men. But some humans didn't feel that way, which he found strange.

Michael's body screamed for him to lay down, his head lobbing every now and again as he forced his eyes to remain open. Heath was watching him, he couldn't fall asleep now or show any pain. He wished he could just disappear for the time being. 

The horse he was on stopped, and Heath smiled kindly at Michael. "I can carry you if you'd like to sleep. I really don't care." He kept his smile warm and gentle, hoping that he wasn't scaring him.

Michael was embarrassed, his eyes locking onto the cat-like green ones Heath has. He felt his face heat up and struggled to make up his mind. he loved being close to him, but right now he was just so humiliated by how he must have looked.

Able to see he was having trouble making up his mind, Heath made up his mind for him and lifted him from the horses' back and into his arms. He pressed him against his chest and kept the human close. "Lester, if you could take the reigns for a while-" Heath turned to see Lester had already done so and had begun to walk away.

"Strange man," Heath whispered to Michael who only gave a quick, flustered nod in response. 

As Heath followed Lester, it wasn't long before the body in his arms got only slightly heavier and Michael nestled further into him for warmth. 

Still walking, Heath just silently smiled.