29.

As soon as the two of us landed in the Sanctum Sanctorum in New York, I broke down in hysterics

As soon as the two of us landed in the Sanctum Sanctorum in New York, I broke down in hysterics. Hulk had turned back to his normal, PhD-waving self after we had crashed through the staircase in the main hall and it didn't take very long for him to wake up beside me - thank God.

I wiped my nose with my sleeve and brushed the tears from my cheeks. I could hardly breathe because my entire body was shaking.

The two of us shared an unacknowledged look. I think we were both traumatized by what happened on the ship and to be truthful, I didn't even know what was going on anymore.

I saw Stephen standing above us on the staircase along with a friend of his whose name I couldn't remember and I broke down all over again, sobbing uncontrollably while my hands shook as I outstretched them towards him. I hadn't seen the man in ages and couldn't even begin to tell you how good it felt to be back. 

"Thanos is coming," Banner groaned, "He's coming."

"Who?" Stephen asked.

"Stephen," I cried out, "Oh God, Stephen. He's gone, he's gone... Heimdall's gone. Asgard is gone. Everybody is dead. And Thor..."

Stephen grabbed a hold of me, pulling me out of the rubble. His cape flew around my shoulders protectively like an old friend and Stephen held me to his side, his face filled with worry.

"Calm down," he said quietly, "Come, sit."

"We don't have time!" I said, "Don't you see?! This isn't going to stop! People are dead!"

"Get Stark." Bruce ordered, "We need him as soon as possible. She's right, we're in a lot of trouble."

Stephen and his friend exchanged looks, before nodding. The two of them conjured up a portal that opened up in Central Park, where Tony and his fiance Pepper Potts were sharing a loving moment between the two of them. My heart ached when I saw them, jealousy rising in my chest when I thought of Thor, possibly badly injured or dead.

It took him less than three minutes to convince Tony to come along with the help of Bruce, who he hadn't seen in over two years. The two old friends shared a hug and I couldn't help but to cry silently as Bruce broke down in his Tony's arms.

"Please, Mr. Stark," I bit my lip, "We need you."

Tony joined us back through the portal against Pepper's will, leaving her by herself in the park. He took a seat on Stephen's couch while I sat down on the floor, still hugging Stephen's cape close to me. I looked like hell, felt like it too, but the fire in me raged like never before.