34.

"Hi, can I have a pack of Marlboro reds, please?" 

I watched the clerk's eyes on me. He gazed at me, taking in my appearance from top to bottom and back up to my face, which he scanned intensely. His eyes hovered over the most feminine parts of me for a little too long and I followed his eyes down to where I already figured he was looking. Keep staring, creepazoid.

"You're not legal," He said blankly. It couldn't have been the first time someone like me tried to buy cigarettes. Someone my age.

I rolled my eyes and loudly chewed gum in his chubby face, before blowing a pearly pink bubble with it and lifting my shoulders. it popped loudly.

"So? Since when do you care?" I asked. 

I tried leaning into him. Surely he would be able to smell my body splash from here and by the looks of it he enjoyed the fruity fragrance.

"I could get into trouble for that, missy," He replied thickly. 

I sighed dramatically and placed my hand on his hairy, thick forearm. His name suddenly popped up into my head, along with blurry images of him, abusing his two very young kids. It was him, hitting his kids. His own flesh and blood.

I harshly bit my lower lip and dug my heels into the ground. A part of me felt bad before for what I was about to do, but all my inhibitions and feelings of guilt were out the window the second I could see the clerk's actions flash before my very eyes. 

I swallowed down my anger. I hadn't come in there to hurt him and I still wasn't planning on it, although seeing a man hurting children sparked feelings of sheer anger and fury inside of me.

What I had come in for though, was the contents of the register. I knew there had to be at least a couple hundred dollars in there and I could use a box of tampons and motel room for the night.

"That never seemed to stop you before," I said huskily, running my tongue along my bottom lip, which had been coated in cherry chap stick.

I hated using people to my advantage, although I couldn't deny the rush it gave me. It was strange, feeling good about stealing, but the thrill of getting away with it was something I experienced every single time, even if it meant causing my victims emotional and financial distress for sometimes years to come.

I was just about to turn 15 when I had gone into that gas station. It was dark outside and abandoned for the most part, apart from some random truckers seeking rest in their cabins and quick showers in the back of the station. They lived off of ready made meals, sandwiches wrapped in clear foil and salads dripping in oily dressing and would sneak in warm cans of flat beer whenever they had the chance.