-15- I Think I Love You... But You Kind of Scare me

I wrote this while listening to "This Instant" - Sophia Fresh on repeat. I'm not too romantic (:

---

Jack surprised me by meeting up with me right outside of the exchange class.

Silently, he took my hand, and led me out of the corridor hastily with his shoes clacking against the marble floor. I followed in equal silence to him, biting my lip in anticipation at what was so important. He dragged me all the way up to the flight tower, without even uttering a word to me. Finally, as we reached the tower, he dropped my hand to lock the door.

"Laurie, I have a confession," he began, leaning against the door and looking at me seriously. His most serious expression yet. I didn't like the way this was going at all, but I was too intrigued to stop him.

"What is it Jack?" I asked. He sighed, taking my hand again and quickly pulling me into his embrace. Slowly, he kissed me lightly on the mouth, locking me in with his arms and pressing his hard chest against me.

Slowly, his kiss became more hard and desperate, passionate even. I could hardly breathe under the suffocating weight of his kiss, my heart quickening as he pulled away and paced back to the door, leaning his forehead on it.

"Laurie, Kane and I haven't always been so honest with you.." began Jack. I started to try and ask why, but he shook his head. "Just let me talk for now Laurie...

"When you're born with powers like me and Kane.. you're assigned a child to look after and cherish. Since me and Kane are so close in age... we were both assigned two twins... Two twins by the names of Laurie and Ja'Mie..."

I took a sharp intake of breath at the mention of my twin sister. I tried to imagine her faded photos and found my memory failing. A pang resounded in my heart.

"And when... when you guys grew up... we were to marry you, and then we'd begin to start ageing again... Because we were born this age and this appearance and we haven't changed since...

"I was paired with Ja'mie and Kane with you.. But then Ja'Mie disappeared, without a trace, and I was assigned to you with my brother. Kane and I had always been competitive, but now things were worse. This was a matter of who would live on and who would be stuck in limbo.

"It was always who could save you. When you almost drowned when you were young.. that was me. And when you almost crawled out onto the balcony and fell, that was Kane. It continued like this for years. Who ever out did the other, would soon be caught up to. And all the while, we were beginning to loathe each other more and more.

"Then Dad enrolled us into Madame G's. Kane just lost it. He started dating multiple girls, drinking, doing all this bad stuff. Then, one day, he just stopped that life and became very quiet... and very reserved. I thought it was for the best... but then he started distance himself from me... and from you..."

Jack buried his head into his arms and gave a sigh, before turning around to face me, a single tear running down his skin.

"Then, one day, when I confronted him... He got really mad. Explosive. And he used his power on me. His power was the power of the light, he held a crystal of it. But... he didn't use light against me. He used Demon Souls, a difficult dark spell... And that was when I realised that someone had taken Kane's soul and replaced it with darkness.

"Laurie... I'm sorry for not telling you... but somehow I think you're the only one who can break him out of this! Even though it might cost me your love... it's better then some soul sucker getting him for herself," cried Jack. I quickly hugged him tight, holding him as he took deep calming breaths yet his heart was beating faster then ever against mine.

Slowly, I pulled away from him, looking up into his eyes seriously, "Jack... you said my sister disappeared.... But she's dead."

"No, she's disappeared. Her body might be dead but her soul lives on, I can feel it in my bones. I'm still slightly connected to her... but I'm more so you." He leaned down and kissed me lightly before taking my hand and giving it a squeeze. I felt something cold appear in the palm of my hand, and opened it, revealing a bright blue crystal.

Jack smiled down at me, stroking the crystal slowly and looking up at my confused eyes.

"What is it?"

"It's the magical equivalent to my heart,"

---

I had vivid dreams of running through an endless maze, with dead ends and trap holes. Finally, I saw what I had been searching for.

Kane.

But he wasn't the Kane I knew, he was much darker, his gaze piercing.

"Kane!" I cried, "Kane, save me!"

He shook his head, turning his back on me, before walking away. I tried to run, to grab him and keep him, but thick vines tripped me and held me against the ground. Slowly, as I screamed out Kane's name over and over, I sunk into the cold, mossy ground.

I sat up abruptly in bed, a cold sweat had broken out on my body. Sasha shifted in her bed, turning towards me and looking at me with a tired but confused look.

"Why were you screaming 'Kane'?"

I took a deep breath, not knowing what to tell her. I shrugged, "A bad dream,"

"Oh..." then she smiled in a drunk sort of way, "Harry and I are... well we're together."

I laughed, "Seriously?!" I cried, before blushing. It must have been 2 in the morning and I was screaming. I exchanged an embarrassed look with Sasha, as she grinned back at me, sliding out of her blue sheets and clambering into my bed, "So what happened?" I whispered.

"Well... he took me to the nurse's office.. and he was a bumbling mess as usual. So I told him everything was going to be okay and he relaxed. The nurses fixed me up and Harry waited while that happened. Then afterwards, he asked me if I wanted to go out with him! I said yes of course, and now... well we're kind of like you and Jack," she explained, grinning.

I listened to her chatter on about Harry for another 1 or so, before Sasha dreamily stumbled back into her bed and I drifted back off into slumber. I didn't have anymore dreams that night. The next morning was greeted with shrieks of excitement as I rose from my bed. The screams of the girls in my dorm had woken me up.

Everyone was crowded around the message board in our room. I pushed my way through the crowd and to the front of the group, reading the glossy poster.

'Madame Gloriana's First Semester Ball' were the words that sprang out at me.