What Hurts the Most

Okay, I got a little emotional writing this, so I hope it comes off the same for the rest of you. I know I keep saying not much more and I keep updating but I swear it IS coming to an end....VERY SOON. I just hope I made the build-up worth the wait lol 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesse spent most of the day getting ready for that night. He had returned to the cabin, he cleaned Peacekeeper and made sure that he packed an ample amount of ammunition. He changed clothes into what he considered his work clothes, complete with his sereape and hat. When he was sure that he was ready and everything was in place, he head back to the hotel to check on Santana. The older man was having a rough day on his memory and hardly remembered Jesse being there the night before, or that Rosa was in town. Jesse was used to Santana occasionally forgetting who he was—so it didn't hurt much, but when he had no memory of Rosa being in town, his heart broke.

"Who?" The older man snapped as Jesse made him a plate of leftovers from the small fridge in the corner of his room.

"Rosa, Santana—the girl who got away from me as a youngin'?" Jesse asked, watching as the milky eyes unfocused for the tenth time since Jesse had come in. "She's in town. She's been by to see you. I'm goin' to check on her. But I migh'....I migh' not make it back."

When the milky eyes found Jesse again he blinked and a scowl that seemed so unusual for Santana wrinkled his old, leather face.

"Who the hell are you? We ain't got no vacancy! Get outta here!"

Jesse felt a flare of anger rise in his chest.

"Damn it, you old bastard its me! Jesse!" Jesse beat his hand over his heart. "I'm going to work, I might not come back—the least you could do is remember me!" He choked on some tears and turned away from Santana, putting a fist to his lips and swallowing hard. "Or at least remember her. She's the one worth remembering." He shook his head and adjusted his hat before pointing to the phone, "If you need anything—press 2, and then call. That's Zelda, your new caretaker. Can you remember that?"

"Yeah," Santana grumbled, laying back in his head, still hateful and scowling. "Yeah. Now go on and get out. Don't make me get outta bed on you."

"Yeah, yeah." Jesse growled and stopped himself from slamming the door as he left. He knew it wasn't Santana's fault he couldn't remember him or Rosa. He would probably remember by the time the sun went down, only to forget while he was asleep again. He lingered by the door and cast a long, anxious look out to the tree. It really looked like it was dying, now more than ever and Jesse didn't like the feeling it was giving him when he looked at it. Shaking off the nerves and the last of his anger, Jesse went to the theater where the flier advertised it would take place. As he walked up he saw the long line of people and was surprised to see Poe and Tosh outside, handing out programs and bottles of water to those who were waiting.

"McCree!" Tosh greeted Jesse warmly, but his smile faltered when he saw the distressed look on Jesse's face. "Whats up?"

"Where's [Y/N]?" Jesse asked as he scanned the crowd, taking as much time as he could to study each face in the line and passing on the street as he could so he could dismiss them all as Reaper, Sombra or any other member of Talon that could be hiding among the crowd.

"Inside." Poe said flatly as he walked up, "What's wrong?" Jesse reached into his pocket and pulled out an old newspaper clipping with a photo of Reaper and showed it to the boys. Tosh's eyes widened and Poe tilted his head slightly off center before looking up at the older man. "Friend of yours?"

"Hell no," Jesse growled, "I need ta know if either of ya'll seen this fella?" He watched as Tosh's brows knit together but slowly he shook his head and Poe did the same in a much slower movement. "What about a girl with purple tints to her hair? One side shaved?" Jesse asked, indicating which side of the head was shaved with a hand. "Wears a weird, coat dress thing-a-mah-jig?" Again the boys shook their head and idly handed out bottles of water and programs to people as the line moved further in. "What about a purple-skinned woman?"