Chapter 35

Cally's pov

Jeff handed me a paper towel, "Put it in your nose and tilt your head back."
     Jeff, Newt, and I had gone back upstairs to the Med-room after Alby took Ezra with him. Getting Newt upstairs wasn't that hard anymore, but it still took some time.
     I took the towel from Jeff and did as he said, "For how long do I have to sit like this? It's really uncomfortable."
     "Until it stops bleeding, Slinthead." Jeff answered me, his tone of voice suggesting that I should've known that.
     "Well, I'm sorry, I've never had a bloody nose before." That was not a lie, I actually never had a bloody nose before. Not even after crashing into walls as I ran through the streets or fell on the pavement while jumping from dumpster to dumpster. 
     "Of course ya did," Newt spoke up. He was sitting on the bed beside me, foot on a chair. "When Minho and I carried ya back from the Maze, you had one."
     I tried my best to glare at him from my position. "Okay, I've never had a bloody nose when I was conscious. Happy now?"
     "Not really," Newt answered, the joking tone he had held gone. "I don't think I like the Newbie that much."
     "What? Why not?" I shot back, realizing too late that I was being defensive. Getting weird looks from both guys. Ug! They don't know that he's your brother. You're not even supposed to know him! Calm down...
     Quickly, I shook my head,  "Umm... I.. I mean, he seems like a nice guy..."
     Saved it.
     "He literally hit ya in the face, Cals." Newt reminded me with a raised eyebrow.
     "Ow, really? I didn't notice." I mentally facepalmed. Cally! This isn't the time for sarcasm.
     Jeff walked up to me again and looked at the side of my face, "That's going to be an ugly bruise, Cally."
     "So?" Jeff placed his hand beneath my chin, moving my head to the side. "I don't think it's going to be worse than after the whole maze thing. It's just one bruise, that's it." Annoyed by Jeff's touchy behavior, I hit his hands away. "Can you stop examining me for five fucking minutes?"
     Jeff let out a frustrated sigh, "Jeez, fine, I'll go. You can handle the M.R. right?"
     "Of course I can." Barely waiting for me to finish my sentence he had already left the room.
     "I think ya offended him," Newt said.
     "He was annoying me," I took the paper towel out of my nose and threw it away, "I know he's just doing his job, but God.... Besides he can handle it." Bark followed the towel I just had thrown away, stuck her head in the bin for a moment before she decided to leave it there. I looked out of the window, hoping I would spot Ezra and Alby, but of course I couldn't.
     Why is Ezra here? How did he get here? Does he remember me? Yes, of course he does, he recognized me. Does he remember how he got here? I hope he does, I need answers- My eyes widened as yet another realization struck. Ow my God! I don't need answers, he needs to keep his mouth shut! He can't tell Alby anything, if he does we're in trouble. Maybe if I-
     "Are ya even listenin' to a bloody word I'm sayin'?" Newt snapped me out of my thoughts.
     "Sorry, what did you say?"
     "No, never mind, wasn't that important. What were ya thinking of?"
     Should I tell him? He already knows I've got a brother called Ezra and he already knows about my past.... at least parts of it anyway. Maybe I should just tell him.
     "Are you sure you're okay, Cals?" Newt started to sound a little worried now.
     "Yeah, I'm sure. Nothing's wrong, I was just thinking, that's all."
     I could see from Newt's face that he didn't believe me, "care to share 'bout what?"
     A frown pushed my eyebrows together, I felt like I should tell him, but I needed to talk to Ezra first. Discuss what we should so.
     "Don't think I want to," I eventually answered with what I hoped was a playful smile.
     Newt's eyes turned to slits. "Were ya thinkin' of the Greenie?" I led out one small chuckle, unintentionally tipping of Newt that he was right. "So, you were, what is it?"
     "It's nothing, there's just something about him. That's all."
     "Something?" He said softly as he thought of my word, then a sparkle appeared in his eyes. "Does he seem familiar? Do ya know him?"
     I breathed in to answer his question, well, more deny it than answer, but before I could say anything Brendon came walking into the room.
     "Newt? Alby asked me to get you. He wants you to come, something about the Greenie."
     Newt shot me a look before getting up, "where are they?"
     Brendon shrugged, "outside the Homestead, I guess. That's where I left 'em a few minutes ago." After he said that he walked away.
     Newt took his second crutch and started walking towards the door. "You be nice to Ezra," I told him jokingly.
     Newt let out a small laugh, "like he was to you?"
     "Ow, com'n, Newton. He was scared and I tackled him. I would've hit me too if I were him."
     Newt smiled at me, not really a big smile, but it was a smile non the less. "I know." After he said that he left the room, closing the door behind him.
     I turned my attention back to Bark, "why can't I just be a dog? Would you like to trait bodies with me Bark?" Now she looked up to me with her big brown eyes, "yeah I was talking to you. Wanne trait bodies? I would like to be a dog, that would make life so much easier." Bark shook her head before looking at me with a tilted head as if to tell me I was being an idiot.