Ch. 47: We're late!

"Beanie! Are you coming?"

I heard Michael shouting from the living room and I shook my head. But I didn't rush. I finished my makeup, and started on my hair. I wanted everything to be perfect, because today was such an important day.

"Beanie!! We're gonna be late!"

I put all my hair over my left shoulder, adjusted a little and put on a hair tie. And then I curled the ends and a string of hair that was left on the right side. There. Now was the time. We were going to be parents.

"BEANIE! I know you can hear me!"

I walked down the hall, chuckling a little. Michael was such a child sometimes. Especially when it came to waiting.

"Beanie!!! We're going to be laa... There you are. What took you so long?"

"Michael? Why are you so stressed?"

"I'm not stressed."

"Yes, you are. You're totally freaking out."

"Am not!"

"Yes, you are. Since when did you get done before me when we're going somewhere? You are always the last one of us. And we are not gonna be late, because the meeting is at noon, and now it's ten thirty. That's one and a half hour, Michael."

"I know that!" he said with a tone in his voice that made me scream of laughter inside.
"It's just... Good to be early." He nodded to himself, probably feeling really sensible. He was not.

"It takes twenty minutes to get there. Traffic included. And you know you'll get a parking space, since you're handicapped. Relax!"

"But..."

"No but's. I'm not planning to spend an hour driving around in circles just because we're too early! And your driver isn't ready yet, either."

He mumbled something, that made me look at him one extra time.

"You've told him to be ready now, haven't you?"

He blushed and looked down at the floor.

"God, you're unbelievable, Michael! Tell him that he can wait at least fifty minutes."

He didn't respond.

"Michael?" I said in a strict voice.

"Okay! But not a minute later! We can't be late today. It's the most important day ever!"

I sat down on my knees in front of him and took his hands.

"I know it is, baby."

I saw his lip shake a little, and his eyes got watery.

"I'm gonna be a dad. I'm gonna be a dad today, B. When we come home later today, we are parents and our lives will never be the same again."

A silent tear ran down his cheek, and he quickly and carefully wiped it away without ruining his makeup.

"God, you're such an emotional mess, honey. Come here."

I stood on my knees and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Do you think he'll like us?"

"Of course he will. But we need to give him some time to settle, you know. It's such a big change for a one year old."

"We need to celebrate his birthday properly. Last time it was... Well."

"It was great, Michael! Will you stop it? Kids as young as that are happy for an empty cardbox and a piece of cake. And you know you gave him a whole lot more than that. The supervisor got totally overwhelmed by you!"